What makes Britain Great?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by chippie244, Mar 11, 2019.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

I know what I love about this country and it's the opposite of what some other people think is great about being British.
    What do you think and I would prefer answers from the silent majority rather than the usual suspects.

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  2. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Benefits.
    Weak laws
    NHS
    Fish and Chips

3. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Active Member

So your keen on the great British tradition of censorship then :eek:

4. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Half the missing links that post on this forum. :p

gadget man likes this.
  5. Jimmycloutnail

Jimmycloutnail Active Member

Bit mean on the old chipolata, he has got that neanderthal look about him tho

Astramax likes this.
  6. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

You just know where this thread could lead to, -
    The British fairness and laws somebody eventually would mention.
    So I just have.

btiw2 likes this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

I did ask for the silent majority but the loud minority have jumped all over it :(

Astramax likes this.
  8. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

I know! You loud remainers minority are banned from this thread (according to the OP) :)

Silent majority only, - so I am in that group. Well, I am reasonably silent. :oops:

I love an infinite number of things about Britain in all seriousness.
    I love our countryside, much of our people, our fairness, our benefit system (when it is actually applied properly), our NHS.

btiw2 likes this.
  9. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Active Member

Our manners, sense of humour, fairness, secular laws, NHS, everything just works better than in a lot of other countries (probably not some individual things, trains etc but most things)

btiw2 and Heat like this.
  10. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

It is home, my home. It is the musical cadence 5 to 1, in that wherever I’ve been too, there is still that gravitational pull and feeling of ease on return.

The landscape, the weather(love or hate it), the people, the infrastructure. So easy to miss, when it stares you in the face all day long.

Heat, btiw2 and mcooper2406 like this.
  11. gadget man

gadget man Well-Known Member

Countdown and that gorgeous piece of womanhood Rachel Riley.:)

Heat likes this.
  12. goldenboy

goldenboy Well-Known Member

Cups of tea.

Heat and btiw2 like this.
  13. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Pubs, Seaside, Historic Architecture, Countryside, The seasons

Heat and btiw2 like this.
  14. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

You asked te wrong question, it should have been "What MADE Britain Great?"

All the pandering to minorities, restriction of choice, restriction of free speech, giving anything to anyone who asks (whether they are entitled or not), and more is turning what was once a Great place into the

Un-United Kingdom of not-so-great Britain and maybe Northern Ireland

Heat likes this.
  15. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

The fact that the police are unarmed.
    The fact that we can protest peacefully about anything without fear of being persecuted by the authorities for it.
    The fact that anyone may, if they wish, engage with running the country, i.e. become involved in politics.
    A genuinely free press, (accepting that many have prejudices, that they don't deny)
    The fact that we have laws that protect children, animals, (even if the execution of them sometimes falls short!)
    The fact that we have the RSPCA
    The welfare system, (even if it sometimes fall short!)
    The existence of the NHS
    The 90%, (or whatever it is), effectiveness of the NHS
    The infrastructure; whatever you may think of your local bit, our roads, rail, airports, water supply, electricity supply, gas supply are all pretty effective!
    Our willingness to help others
    Our language
    The BBC (Independence alert... I worked for them for the best part of 40 years, most of it as a techie in the news dept. Yes they have occasional failings... No, they are not, as a body biased. I have seen the meetings and discussion... they STRIVE not to be, and succeed)
    Eggs and Bacon for breakfast
    Our sense of "fair play" and doing the right thing
    The fact that the country meets it's obligations
    British beer and cider

and, of course, Fish and Chips!

(I reserve the right to add things I haven't thought of),

Regards,
    Cando

Bogle Crag, Odd Bodkin, btiw2 and 3 others like this.
  16. goldenboy

Not sure I can support the execution of children and animals.

candoabitofmoststuff, btiw2 and Heat like this.
  17. goldenboy

Plenty of good things about Britain.

Why not try to be a touch positive for once.

If you want to talk Britain down start your own topic.

18. goldenboy

Politeness.

Holding doors open, taking parcels in for random neighbours etc

Waiting your turn!

btiw2 and candoabitofmoststuff like this.
  19. goldenboy

Proper breakfast.

Canals.

Not worrying about rain!

btiw2 likes this.
  20. btiw2

btiw2 Well-Known Member

It'd be easy to turn this into a backdoor to current events and say our immigrant heritage.
    But being a mongrel nation is hardly uniquely British (I'll keep examples in a footnote[1] in case it's disputed).

Universal healthcare and benefits are available in all civilised nations. I'm not sure whether we can include those.

What is uniquely British and great?
    Our literature.
    Radio 4.
    Our sarcastic humour. Does any other nation trade such venomous insults to their friends with a smile?
    Our weather (although the Irish can claim this too, so let's say that's the British Isles).
    GB's "Proper breakfast" is a good one. It's so obvious that you don't even need to specify what it includes. Order "breakfast" without any other specification and you know there will be a minimum of bacon, sausage and fried egg - as it should.

What is sadly on the decline?
    Our science, engineering and mathematics. I think we used to respect hard facts. We were sensible. We are the progenitors of the industrial revolution. Now I think it's the East Europeans and East Asians that hold these stereotypes.
    Our reserve. Until the hysteria surround a dead princess, I'd have said we were reserved and level-headed. I have no idea what happened in the 90s that turned our nation into a bunch of drama queens.
    The stoic and calm John Bull now wears a yellow vest and screams about traitorous politicians on youtube - or, if you prefer, wrings their hands and shrieks about how Britain is becoming like Nazi Germany. Bah! I've no time for either of those extremes.

[1] We're Anglo-Saxons? It can't have escaped anyone's notice that Saxony isn't in Great Britain.
    People have mentioned our food.
    Fish and Chips are a Jewish immigrant invention.
    Tea obviously comes from the east.
    Gin is Dutch. The tonic we splash into it? It's "Indian tonic water" - not "Basingstoke tonic water".
    Our language, the language of Shakespeare? A hybrid language of German, Norse, French, Latin and Greek.
    I'm always intrigued when people say "if it weren't for xyz, we would all be speaking German". In that last clause all the words but one are already of German origin. We (wir) would (wollen) all (alles) be (bin) speaking (sprachen) German (ironically this isn't a German word, but from the Latin Germania).
    Our Royal family are based on French traditions of monarchy.
    Our Christmas traditions are based on Germanic and Norse traditions.
    Our years are from the middle east, our months from Italy and our day names from Scandinavia.
    Perhaps the only British thing is denying all this.

Bogle Crag and chippie244 like this.