What nails/screws to attach skirting and architrave?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Cutter12, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Cutter12

Cutter12 New Member

Hi,

I am fitting skirting to drywall. I should be able to go straight into the wooden stud. Would you use nails or screws? and what size?

The same goes for the architrave. I am guessing you would just use a pin or narrow nail to attach it to the casing?

...I know these might seem pretty basic questions but I would appreciate your input.

2. Exit 30

Exit 30 New Member

40mm sprigs or lost head nails for architrave
    50mm lost head nails for skirting

Cutter12 likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

FatHands and Cutter12 like this.
  4. Cutter12

Cutter12 New Member

...thanks ....sraight to the point...thats why I like this place :)

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Gun grade expanding foam is the way to go, certainly for the skirtings. Gripfill often fails on fresh plaster. I do mountains of skirtings and pretty much do exactly the same routine. Spray the wall with a plant sprayer, apply two beads of about 25mm wide expanding foam, push it into place and pop a couple of weights against it. By the time the next piece is cut the foam will be off. A good quality gun set right will produce great results. And far far cheaper than gripfill. Once you get the routine right you will never go back to gripfill.

seen it all before likes this.
  6. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

I'll second that, I like to use insta stick foam it goes off in no time at all. http://m.screwfix.com/p/insta-stik-expanding-foam-grab-adhesive-750ml/72793 although I don't get it from screw fix and I certainly don't pay what the charge for it.

7. antuk99

antuk99 New Member

Paslode

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Just paslode? I have finish nailers etc but foam is a much better way in my opinion. No chance of it creeping off the wall. No need to hit a stud, no chance of hitting pipes and cables, and no filling!

antuk99 likes this.
  9. Andrew Wall

Andrew Wall Member

What do you spray on the wall?

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Water. The foam is moisture activated. It will work without, but it works better with. We're only talking a light misting by the way. You don't need to drench it.

11. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

How does the Soudal PU adhesive foam compare to Insta-stik? Got a whole lot of skirting to do this weekend, and also want to try the foam method.

12. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

For safety reasons, would these methods of sticking skirting be suitable to use at the top and bottom of stair spindles as well as the spacer pieces in between?

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Foam is much over muchness, there lots of different variants but they all do pretty much the same, though I would favour a low expansion foam for fixing skirting.

WillyEckerslike and I-Man like this.
  14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No, not even close, and it would be like cleaning up Beirut afterwards.

I-Man likes this.
  15. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Ah! I thought as much. Other than glue and nail/screw, I don't suppose there's much choice really.

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Use lots of PVA glue on all mating surfaces and 30mm panel pins.

17. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Will do, thanks!