What paint for bare dry plaster

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by lemonade, Nov 22, 2019.

1. lemonade

lemonade Member

I've been removing a failed mist coat back to bare plaster and now I'm ready to buy some paint but what paint will I need for bare dry plaster as I don't fancy removing paint again. I've read to use normal matt or . contract matt but on screwfix Q&A Leyland paint said if your wall is dry apply the chosen topcoat as contract matt is designed to be applied to new plaster work that is not fully dry.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Either will do in this case as a mist coat. Contract Matt can be painted over damp plaster as it contains no vinyl and therefore allows moisture to breathe through it without bubbling up.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Always go with acrylic primer undercoat. If you read the data sheet for the Layland one from screwfix it mentions plaster. I add water to it. Follow guide. I never use contact paints etc.

lemonade likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Used contract Matt this week on exactly the same surface and applied durable matt over it with no problems whatsoever.

5. lemonade

lemonade Member

Reading more Q&A leyland don't recommend using a top coat of paint over contract matt as it's very absorbent so it can absorb the top coat and can cause problems. I've seen a few posts where they recommend acrylic primer undercoat but they mostly recommend to water down the top coat.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Do what you feel right, I've obviously been doing it wrong over the last 40 years hay ho! :rolleyes:

Hans_25 likes this.
  7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Not on new work where you have to let it dry out for a few months through the paint. Different quality of contract paints too. They say Dulux super flat can be wiped with damp sponge? Vs other contact paints that will come off. Just a case of reading paint application sheet. I know someone that apply contact paint neat over plaster as don't bother mist coating. I don't think that is the right thing to do but hay ho. These durable paints can play up over contact emulsion. Valspar v700 for one I found

8. lemonade

lemonade Member

The problems is I don't know what feels right. Back in 2015 leyland said to use their contract matt diluted 9 parts paint to 1 part water for a mist coat but in 2019 they are saying if your wall is dry apply the chosen topcoat as contract matt is very absorbent so it can absorb the top coat of other paint and can cause problems.

9. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Sounds like nonsense to me.

Painted my bathroom in contract matt, mist coat followed by 2 top coats. Then after some while applied Dulux Trade matt in the chose colour (was cotton white but looks the bloomin same as white!). I don't see how contract matt can cause a problem as long as the underlying substrate is properly dry.

Astramax likes this.
  10. lemonade

lemonade Member

We had magnolia contract matt in our bathroom and every time you had a shower you could see the paint sucking in the moisture.

11. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

That's because contract paint is porous and allowing the moisture to get sucked into the wall. Different if you put vinly paint over contract, the vinyl paint will get sucked in a bit, but then the paint dries and seals it.

Astramax likes this.