What paint please for melamine kitchen cupboards?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jamie of campbell, Oct 7, 2018.

1. I see ronseal do a one coat paint but doesnt get the best reviews and would rather go the longer route for a better finish.

I would rather prime 2x coats and light sand then 1-2 top coats with a sponge roller.

So my question is, what primer should I buy? And most importantly, what mat white paint?

I plan to light sand the cupboards before applying primer and have all grease removed

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Astra has recomended previously V33 Renovation Paint, from B&Q

I can’t comment as never used it but noticed that loads of it is currently reduced in price so maybe a new colour range is coming in, or it’s being dropped

A friend of mine has recently painted her units and asked me for a paint suggestion, although her doors were dark oak, real wood, quality but old fashioned and made the kitchen dark

Anyway, my suggestion was;

Light rub down, P120/180
    Wash with hot sugar soap solution
    Wash with clean water
    Allow a day to dry
    Prime with Zinnser BIN
    2 coats Bedec Multi Surface Paint
    All applied with a 4” hard foam roller

I must say it’s a great finish, took some time but she has transformed the kitchen

If you’ve not heard of Bedec paints, look them up, superb quality range of paints, water based (most/all ?)

Bedec used to send out free paint samples via they’re website, again take a look

Not widely stocked but again enter postcode on website and local suppliers will be shown

Tool Stn stocks a range and usually a few independent suppliers, or of course, on-line

As ever, more than one way to skin a cat (so to speak) but that’s my recommendation anyway

Both paints are suitable for melamine as well, do some research and good luck :)

jamie of campbell likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

V33 from B&Q worth considering as resistant to wine stains, bleach etc and dries to an amazing brush streak free finish as if it had been sprayed.