What paint should I use on pebble dash

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by JC88, Oct 12, 2007.

1. JC88

JC88 New Member

My extension is going to be finished pretty soon and I will need to paint it. It is a pebble dash surface. What is the best paint to use, and also what type of paint brush is best (don't think that a roller will do), or should I use an electric sprayer.
    Another question, I don't think that I will be able to match the colour from the old part, would you paint the whole side?
    Many thanks
    JC

2. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Hello,

You need to paint it with masonry paint, Dulux or Sandtex and I would recommend two coats. Depending on the depth and size of the dash you may be able to use a long pile roller, failing that a brush, as for spraying it depends on how much masking up you will have to do, i.e. windows, conservatory, neighbours parked cars etc etc because of the danger of over spray or the spray being carried in the wind.

3. Telmay

Telmay New Member

and i would paint both parts - but thats up to you :)

4. JC88

JC88 New Member

Cheers guys for the info. May go with a sprayer on a non-windy day...
    JC

5. jafeica

jafeica New Member

You should use a stabilizer on the dash prior to painting as this will stop the small bits of dash coming loose when painting or in the future

good luck

6. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Cheers guys for the info. May go with a sprayer on a
    non-windy day...
    JC

Make sure it really is a non-windy day - mate of mine was spraying an ordinary house on a "not-very-windy" day and managed to speckle paint over a Land-Rover parked 200yards away!!! Daft bu&&er...

I'd definitely paint both sections together - even if you use exactly the same paint, the older section may look different because of dirt etc, so as you're doing the one area it makes sense to do the lot.

7. ШЮΩπ

ШЮΩπ New Member

> or should I use an electric sprayer.

at your peril

8. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

jafeica, since when did stabaliser, prevent bits of dash coming loose?
    Also, why use it on new work?

I have been in the job close on 30 years, and never used it on new work, it's for surfaces that remain powdery after through prep, and will not stick anything to anything.

Why would you suggest it's use for this? more importantly, who has told you this? because they are very wrong.

9. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Wouldn't use the stabilizer stuff anyway, its horrible to use and not necessary in this case.

Should not need to use stabilizer on new render, its just for the surface become friable. An alternative to stabilizer is Owatrol EB which you stir into your first coat of emulsion this binds the surface and boosts paint adhesion, its also turning a three coat job into two! So saves time and money!

10. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Does that work well, Tel? I have never tried it but that would be a great tip

11. jcts

jcts Active Member

You should use a stabilizer on the dash prior to
    painting as this will stop the small bits of dash
    coming loose when painting or in the future

good luck

sorry mate but that doesn't help in the slightest

12. jcts

jcts Active Member

13. Telmay

Telmay New Member

BB - great stuff, used it on a few jobs, one in particular the surface was terrible but it bonded it very well and the 2nd coat went on like a dream, good time saver

14. jcts

jcts Active Member

best paint is dulux weathershield masonry paint

15. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Or leyland trugaurd

16. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

BB - great stuff, used it on a few jobs, one in
    particular the surface was terrible but it bonded it
    very well and the 2nd coat went on like a dream, good
    time saver

Cheers Tel. Will try it next time

17. JC88

JC88 New Member

Finally finished the second coat on the top part of the new extension. First coat was a bit painful, but the second coat was much easier. Looks pretty good to me, used a masonry brush (my back is aching a bit but happy with the final result)
    JC

18. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

JC88, so long as you get a good result, that's all that really matters, that and you did not waste your money on products that were not required, like stabaliser.