What primer and/or paint should I use on OSB?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Little Steve, May 14, 2014.

1. Little Steve

Little Steve New Member

Hi There,

I am just about to move into our new build house. A workshop has been built for me by the main contractor (lucky I know). It is completely weather tight with rendered exterior and double glazed doors. The interior has been fitted out with OSB 3. As there is only a small window, I would like to make it lighter by painting the OSB white.

My question is, what is the best primer and/or paint to use? I guess the most bomb proof solution would probably be an oil based primer and then a satin gloss but that would get really expensive. I have looked through the internet and come across lots of suggestions. Anything from just slapping on some smooth masonry paint to PVA with emulsion on top to priming with something else! I can imagine the issue with just slapping on some water based paint like emulsion is that I might swell the OSB but I'm not sure.

Can anyone offer a definite solution that will not cost the earth?

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

the cheapest masonry paint you can find, no need to prime - it won't swell

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Bedec BARN PAINT, no primer as self priming with thinned 1st coat also check out Sadolin SUPERDEC, available in a range of colours. Forget the emulsion and PVA route and do it right first time.

4. Masonry paint. End of. You need nothing else. It'll stick - permanently. It'll be durable. It'll be affordable. It'll be easy to use.

(One possible li'l caveat - if there is sap or resin in the OSB, it might possibly bleed through...)

So perhaps Astra is right... :(