What screws for oak

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by hamish, Jan 19, 2011.

1. hamish

hamish New Member

Hi All,

Seems like an age since I last wrote to this post.

I've got a lot of American white oak to fix; skirtings, steps, and some furniture. Obviously I don 't want to use steel screws because of the staining risk, but am wondering if the plating on quicksilver screws (zinc plated) or goldscrews (passivated) is enough to avoid staining. Alternatively is it OK to use stainless screws with oak. I'd rather avoid brass screws where I can cause of cost and slot head.,

Advice much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I can probably say without contradiction, that the quicksilver or golscrews will be no good. I've also seen some brass ones stain oak(maybe brass alloy-cheap). Stainless would probably be what most here would recommend(even then, you should check quality). There is another sort of metal but I just cannot remember what it is. I'm sure someone will bring it up.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

as ha says you need no ferrous metal[brass phospher bronze] or a good electoplated coating like stainless
    throw a few "coated" screws in salt water for a few days and see them rust ????if they dont if not you may be ok  but they may come back to bite you in the bum

4. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Brass screws are available with pz heads but not sure what quality would be like for this job.  Better safe than sorry, go for stainless steel.

5. hamish

hamish New Member

Thanks all - I'll raid the piggy bank and go for SS.