What screws

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Deleted member 164349, Nov 23, 2016.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Deleted member 33931, KIAB and koolpc like this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

longboat likes this.
  3. Vern68

Vern68 Member

KIAB likes this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Spax and Wurth I find the best, German efficiency and all that, but they carry the price tag too.

5. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

Is no one going to show some love for the torx head?

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Our hosts have two cases in their "Price crash" event - I wish there was a yawning smiley for another disappointing promotion

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

is that a crying one :)

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rather poor price crash event.[​IMG]

But, I did get one small bargain, but I'm not say what until I've collected it tomorrow.[​IMG]
    It saved me a tenner.:)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

A bit off topic, I have several boxes of screws in different sizes (No. 8 & 10, 1" to 2" long mainly), is there a good cheap empty case I could buy to put them in? Like the product that chippie linked to, but without the screws!

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Thanks KIAB, although at about £25 its rather overkill, the case costs more than the screws in it and I'm just a simple DIYer ;-)

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have a builder's bucket here full of assorted woodscrews that I brushed up ten years ago,after I dropped a plastic case, can't be bother spending hours sorting them.:D

15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Nothing to get excited about really:(

I picked up two of the 24w led lights, will have try them tonight in the garden.

16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

KIAB is right, the metal ones are the best, all my screws are kept in them, they last longer and are much more robust.

I have a few of these full of plumbing fittings:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-sort-master-organiser/73900
    They take a good bit to crack them too, i have dropped them all over the place and they never seem to crack. although a decent drop or flight of stairs might do it.
    They also have the second clips which helps keeps the lids shut.

For a diyer and light use (like me, i only do plumbing jobs a few times a month) i think these ones are perfect.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  17. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Same problem here, except they are brushed into a corner of the garage floor!:rolleyes:

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have about 4 metal cases full of screws, when full they get really heavy to lug about The additional problem is quite often for a job you only need a few sizes.

My holy grail is to find a system of those little plastic boxes that you store in the workshop and then just take the ones you need out with you. I know I could buy lots of cases and keep them in the workshop and just use one as a portable case but few cases can take long screws or bolts alongside the smaller ones.

I tried making some up out of 6mm MDF but it was such a pain.

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

May be all I need to do is organise my various boxes of screws so they're all in one place and easily accessible, I may already have a case and so can put the boxes in the case...job done.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look on Youtube or Pintrest for ideas.

[​IMG]