What size boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by gordy1, Jan 11, 2020.

1. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Hi we have thirteen radiators in our house four of these smaller ones in en-suites plus UFH in a good size dining room, at the moment running off a 12 year old Trianco 110 oil fired boiler which is rapidly becoming life expired, the house is up for sale so don’t want to overspend on a new boiler just wanting to replace it so it’s in good order for new buyers. The Trianco is struggling to heat all the radiators ( the furthest ones only getting half warm at most) I really need some estimate of size I would need to pump all around the house to keep a constant heat in the radiators or is there a way of boosting it by adding a bigger pump in the system, if so I could experiment it while I still have the old boiler. I know it’s a bit difficult to answer boiler size without sizing it all up but just like to run it by someone first as an estimate.
    Cheers.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Have you tried flushing your system?
    Do you have a magnetic filter? Have you cleaned it?
    If it used to work well enough, but doesn't do so any more, then it's more likely to be sludged up than anything else.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

+1

Fit Magnaclean Pro 2, add cleaner like Sentinel X400 & leave in for couple of weeks to work it's magic, before draining & throughly flushing system.

Will need to check filter several times a day, if system is bad.

4. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Yes I have a filter but i haven’t flushed the system for a couple of years so will do that & see if it’s any better the trouble is it’s never been that good, I also have trouble trying to balance the system any tips on that, with that amount of rads thought the boiler may not be man enough, as it’s old now thought I ought change it for a bigger one.

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

All the advice I've ever taken, and all my personal experiences of buying and selling houses, suggest that you should NOT do any major changes (like installing a new boiler) just before selling your home.
    Let's say it costs you £3000 to install a new boiler. You will not add £3000 to the final selling price of the house.
    If a potential buyer wants to knock you down because the boiler is old, they might knock you down by £1000 ... certainly not by £3000.

6. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Great advice.

KIAB likes this.