What size skirting/architrave?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Nov 8, 2018.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I'm just refitting my staircase/hallway out and ripped out all panelled doors, mounded skirting and architrave plus staircase spindles and coving etc.

I just want clean lines.

So I have to refit new skirting and architrave.

I just want square, with no detail so I thought I might as well get some MDF cut into strips at B and Q either 12mm or 18mm what's a good size for architrave and skirting?
    I Was thinking 120mm skirting and 80mm architrave?
    It's easy out of 18mm MDF as my local B and Q stock 18mm not 12mm MDF sheets if 12mm would look better it's a 20 mile round trip. Thanks

2. jimoz

jimoz Member

Will look **** tbh. Better off sourcing some cheap mdf skirt with a tight pencil round. You won't have to buy whole sheet so probably less wasteage and better looking finish

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

But I don't want a pencil round? I don't want moulding and detail.
    I can get 14 X 2400mm lengths of 80mm from a sheet.
    I may put a small chamfer on the top edge but only a 5mm or so.
    Thanks

4. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Height of skirting should be determined by ceiling height, no point having an 8" skirt when the ceilings 8', looks out of proportion. Check out Howdens joinery profiles, they do a square arrissed mdf design with a single groove running through, simple but not bad looking.

5. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi yes the burnford contempory?, roughly how much a length is it?

6. jimoz

jimoz Member

I have the burford traditional. The contemporary is what I meant by a tight pencil round. More of an arras as said above. I reckon it's about 4 quid a metre from memory but could be wildly wrong. You could even buy a 4" pencil round skirt and just fit it backwards with a slight arras either routered of block planed into it

7. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Thanks, if I'm buying skirting and putting my own Arris on the edge would it not be cheaper to have a £20 sheet of MDF cut up into strips?

8. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I saw the Burford is 70mm architrive and 120mm skirting ?

9. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

It works out around 50p a metre...41m of 70mm from a 2440 X 1220mm sheet of MDF

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Cheaper for sure using an 8x4 board and ripping it down but then you’re gonna have loads of ‘fluffy’ edges to deal with when painting - loads of info on this site about painting MDF edges

Yep, can be done using right materials and prep and a great finish achieved - just takes more time

More money but can achieve same square edge finish with soft wood/pine

Price up at a timber yard, usually cheaper than say BQ and longer lengths available so less joins on skirts

Buy at finished size or buy bigger and rip down, may save some money

Prime the lot with Zinnser BIN and that will also take care of the knots

The choice is urs :)

11. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi thanks, they will be just the 18mm top edge exposed, if I chamfer it, a little more.

I have a spray set up in a dedicated workshop so will give it all a few coats of primer
    Then fit and some fine surface filler on the top edge and then caulk the skirting/wall joint

Thanks

12. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

If you go down this route seal edge with shellac then sand smooth first.