What sort of shed base?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Jan 10, 2021.

1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Probably going to order an 8x6 potting shed with a timber floor and was going to lay a concrete base, but now wondering whether to just go with a decent layer of gravel...

Anyone got any tips?

2. LEH

LEH Active Member

I made a timber base sat on concrete decking posts - you only need to dig out post holes then, avoids a lot of spoil to get rid of and faffing around with concrete.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

My local shed builder where we got ours suggested lay a couple inches of MOT, wack it down then lay some concrete lintels across and plonk the shed on those. Will never move. We took his advice, and it's done the job nicely - keeps the shed bearers off the ground.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I erected my sheds on paving slabs that I picked up off Freecycle and/or Freegle.
    Paving slabs frequently appear on these sites as people alter their gardens and they're only too pleased to have someone take them off their hands so they don't have to haul them down to the dump.

BiancoTheGiraffe and Mr Rusty like this.
  5. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

I used recycled paving and timber beams for 8x6 shed. Going strong after 15 years.

6. BiancoTheGiraffe

I'm thinking of making a frame from old paving slabs dug into the ground (mother in law conveniently has some she needs rid of) and then filling it will hardcore and gravel.

Sound ok?

7. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Yes, that should be fine.

8. BiancoTheGiraffe

Made a bit of progress today... Now got some of my slabs knocked end-on into the ground and poured concrete around where they meet, but it's taking an age to harden (even though it's fast acting)

Anyone know how much the current temperature (about 5 degrees) will increase hardening time?

Is it ok to cover with soil and gravel if it's still slightly soft? Will it continue to harden when buried?