What suggested finish for Oak?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by KD, Jan 8, 2004.

1. KD

KD New Member

I was wondering if someone could suggest a nice finish, pref water resistant etc for Oak.

In my bathroom, I have a ledge for a boxed in section. What I intend to do is to lay a thickish piece of Oak on the top to finish it off nicely.

I was wondering though what to finish and seal it with?

As a colour tip - I am also installing solid bamboo flooring (coffee colour, see http://www.woodlinefloors.co.uk/ click bamboo then its the vertical coffee one).

Also, anyone know anywhere good to buy it from, Jewson and Travis Perkins say they can get it in, but I expect them to be expensive compared to other places. I am in Basingstoke, Hampshire.

2. graybags

graybags New Member

Wolf is the fount of all knowledge on this subject but in the meantime try www.rustins.co.uk for some more info.

3. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Well - purely in order to galvanise Wolf and/or CF (not because you should actually do it ;-)), I'll suggest Polyurethane Varnish. With a nice dark brown stain.

I think they've got a program which alerts them to any post containing the words "oak" and "varnish", so they'll be on my case any second now....

4. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

You Sir are a charlottan, nay a heretic and a wood terrorist and should be tried in an Iranian court where hanging is common place after you have been stoned, whipped and burnt a little bit at the stake

Oak doesn't need anything; over time it will turn a beautiful shade of silver but the tread areas will still retain the colour of the timber. Use an oil on the product and it will retain a regular colour. If you varnish it the varnish wil breakdown in the areas that are exposed to wear and water will get under the varnish and turn this beautiful timber black.

OAK! VARNISH! - I'm gonna tell Wolf right this minute and you sir are gonna really get it you are in the deepist gooyist, smellist **** you could imagine.

:'(

5. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

KD, Tung oil is a good treatment for oak if it is going to very wet. It has a disavantage in that it takes a long time to dry as it is a pure oil.

Danish oil is not as durable, but it is the one I would use, it has added driers and is easier and quicker to apply. Thin the first 2 coats 50-50 with white spirit and wipe off any excess after about 10 minutes. The wet cloths are then a fire hazard and should be disposed of carefully.

Both these treatments will give you the sort of colour you are looking for. Look in yellow pages under timber merchants, should be easily available.

I did think about F** P*** but then I thought]:) j/k

6. WOLF

WOLF New Member

i have just arrived home, and in my office, there is this little beeping sound coming from my computer, "whats that compy!"..BEEP! BEEP! BEEEEPP! " no really, someone on the SF forum has used the naughty V word...SHAME on them!"
    and ban all sheds, why not go the whole hog and upset both me and charlie totally , by painting it with white gloss ...
    and now folks on to the serious bit, well woodsmith has got it spot on(bugger you beat me to it!!)tung oil is about the only thing that you can realistically treat the oak with, in that sort of environment, any thing else will be a total waste of time and monies...
    and i must get around to doing a complete list of finishes for what on here, then we can just refer bods to it when this typoe of question crops up again,
    and kd, unless you "paint" the oak, you will never change it's colour charactoristics...wrong type of lumber for that..(except through age or a blow torch!!), and if the "slab" that you refer to is being affixed to a surface, treat the under side with at least 2 coats of the oil to balance it up.....and apply sparingly, a couple of thin coats are alot better thana thick coat..
    now i must reset the V word alarm.........

7. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

I have a confession, I varnish oak.

I've said it; I feel a lot better now.

Keith

8. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Cant the moderator add that V word to the word filter?
    He edits out enough harmless words. :(

9. WOLF

WOLF New Member

W/S, this is an honest question...WHY?

10. supersparky

supersparky New Member

right this will do 1 of two things, or maybe 3 if you count it doing nothing: Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish, Varnish,
    Right i have now either anoyed the mods to include it into the list, or wolf's computer has just exploded, if we hear nothing for a few weeks, we know it went bang, if we hear nothing for 10 years, we know he saw it, then it went bang and he needed mental help, and has spent 10 years in the nuthouse, if we never hear from him again, we know he was sitting at the computer at the time......Varnish!

SS

11. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Perhaps the moderator could make the whole thread varnish.

12. Dewy

Dewy New Member

ROFLMAO

13. WOLF

WOLF New Member

sorry S/S, i am just so "laquered" that i took no notice, especially as i was dealing with my polar curves!!!!( your a sparky, work that one out... and to give you a clue, it's in the extended part p)....and my compy won't blow up i'm afraid... it is bomb proof, until the damned minute that i want a set piece out of it for a quote, or invoice, when it just goes on strike( i really think the thing is female... diodes/capacitors instead of hormones!!!)
    any way S/S, just print out frnch polish 200 times an i might just get the 'ump!!!!!
    kindest regards madmatt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. supersparky

supersparky New Member

lol, you must be indistructable.....i give up, if that dident finish you, nothing will
    :d
    SS

15. WOLF

WOLF New Member

on the last post(da-da-da----da-da-da-da-da--da-daa-.....ooopps got carried away) i used my main nick name, taken from my fav film, but slightly barstadized, of course, as people said i was like the character when younger... and it is true, i do work, think and play better when under pressure.and having all manor of things thrown in my way...right up to the point where i have told clients to basically pi** off... (no mean feat these days though)also having a "hippy-biker" (multi tattoo'd and body pierced ) for a step son, does not help either, calls himself a "modern day peter pan" and if you can put up with him, you can tackle anything...BELIEVE ME!!!
    and super sparky, did you not know, (quick phone box change of clothes...dun-dun-da!!!!! captaijn scarlett!!!-indestructable...
    kindest, madest regards, madmatt
    p.s. thanks for all the laughs dear chap!
    p.p.s, come on!! help me with me polar curves...???

16. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Norm Abrams likes PUV. Even uses it on oak...

17. WOLF

WOLF New Member

are you trying to be polite old bean, "PUV"... be a man and say it V.A.R.N.I.S.H!!! there even i can say it, and as for norm using the stuff, he has to!! sponsers pay him lots of good wages... the programmes are videoed with more rolling end cred's than we are shown over here, over there they have all and sundry inc, uncle tom cobbly and his dog, that is why he HAS to use the stuff....

18. Dewy

Dewy New Member

POLYEURETHANE VARNISH. There I said it. :D

19. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Wolf, I do a lot of work in oak, I can't get marine ply but oak grows out of the ground round here.

Perhaps if I list a couple of the things I have done recently with p/u:

Oak bed: deep frame, sprung base fits inside so there is plenty of contact between the bedding and the wood so p/u
    Oak dining table;customer wanted a durable finish
    Oak staircase; p/u; I have found that wood soon becomes grubby if there is a lot of hand contact. I recently did another staircase, treated it with tung oil because the customer didn't want p/u, but her husbands a mechanic and I got called back as it was soon black with engine oil. Took me a week to clean it all up and treat it with p/u.

Also as we have previously discussed, I live in woodwormville and the p/u does afford some protection.

One thing I would like to say here is that I don't VARNISH the wood I treat it with p/u; I dilute it like oil and apply it in a similar way to an oil finish . When I have finished a piece most people would not be able to tell the difference between an oil finish or p/u. However it is not as durable (in some ways) as a thick coat.

Charlie made the point that varnish can flake off and the wood then goes black where moisture gets under the surface; this is a valid point which is why I would not normally recommend varnish on this site. Oil is a more fool proof treatment and most people can make reasonable job of it.

In the last year I have use linseed oil,wax, tung oil, danish oil and even alcohol marinated beetles to treat oak, differing situations require different treatments.

Keith; The Phantom "out of the closet" varnisher.

20. KD

KD New Member

Thanks for all your help guys. The area of exposed wood in question will act as a shelf, so no walking over it etc.

It may get splashes of water of it but never really wet.

So just to recap, Tung oil is best, with Danish oil second?

I don't particularly want to change the colour, as I like the colour of oak, just setting the scene for you guys!! As its not next to the flooring, it won't be so obviously different.

Once treated with oil, will it still grey/silver over time?