What thread and what do I need?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dvddvd, Aug 8, 2018.

  1. dvddvd

    dvddvd Well-Known Member

    Hi all,

    I just bought a basin wall mounted mixer tap from eBay! It was cheap!

    Any how it came with no flexi able tails. I have my 15 mm copper fixed and the two need fixing together.

    On the basin mixer is two threaded female connection points, they are the same size as the threaded part on a 15mm isolation compression valve ( I tried one I had at hand.)

    What's the best way to connect to the basin mixer, a male to male coupler? What size would it be? Then a flexible tap connector ? If anybody could point me to the correct parts on screwfix? Thanks
  2. rogerk101

    rogerk101 Well-Known Member

    Please post photos of the supply side connectors (on the wall) and the connectors on the tap.
  3. KIAB

    KIAB Well-Known Member

    Will be a BSP thread, most likely 1/2".
  4. The Teach

    The Teach Well-Known Member

    Cheap for a reason.either its craap or its intended for professional fitting. send it back and buy a product designed for Uk diy fitting :cool:

    Edit,Post a link to your purchased product or the installation instructions ;)
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  5. dvddvd

    dvddvd Well-Known Member

  6. dvddvd

    dvddvd Well-Known Member

    The 4th picture shows the actual back of the item. It's to join up to two 15mm copper hot and cold. I thought of two flexi able hoses with compression fitting on 15mm pipe end and then two male to male couplers?
  7. dvddvd

    dvddvd Well-Known Member

    What is the size thread on a isolation valve? That is the size thread I need?
  8. KIAB

    KIAB Well-Known Member

    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  9. dvddvd

    dvddvd Well-Known Member

    Just had a quick measure the threaded part is roughly 20mm, if you get a 15mm isolation valve and remove one of the compression nuts it will screw in ?
  10. dvddvd

    dvddvd Well-Known Member

  11. KIAB

    KIAB Well-Known Member

  12. Isitreally

    Isitreally Well-Known Member

  13. chippie244

    chippie244 Well-Known Member

    There's a reason it was cheap.
    The Teach likes this.
  14. The Teach

    The Teach Well-Known Member

    Yes they are suitable,use ptfe tape on the male threads and connect the compression side into copper pipe to connect to your existing supply pipes.(try not to use flexible connectors in the wall).

    before doing all that consider having a look at what the actual valve body is made,undo the 6 screws & lift off the cover to access the valve body.Brass valve body is preferred.

    The instructions do not mention any approval for uk use,no wras or similar test house compliance statement. Thats why its best to have it professionally fitted ;).

    £29.99 :D

Share This Page