What timber and best method to lower ceiling?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Adam Harrington, Mar 23, 2019.

1. I’m looking to lower the ceilings to get rid of the curved edges where the ceilings meet the roof trusses and install downlights.

There’s a wall plate that goes around the outside walls that I’m going to put joist hangers onto.

Is this the best method to do this? Timber supports in the middle to stop ceilings sagging.
    What size timber would I need? 3x2?

The current loft is insulated, what gap do you need for the downlights and will there be any condensation issues doing it this way?

Attached Files:

2. No need for hangers,fix some 4x1 sawn level to each wall.Spike your 3x2 to the bottom of the 4x1 with legs for support up to original rafters or use some strap band.Centre the 3x2 for whatever boards you are using,either 8x4 or 6x3 boards.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Consider the metal assembly as it don't bow with no buckling. Never done one myself.

4. Thanks, I’ll look into this. Do you have a link to what you’d use for the ‘spiking’ ?

5. Thanks, I’ll look into this too

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Spikes ie nails.

7. Oh.. haha I thought this was something abit technical

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

:)