What to cut railway sleepers with?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Monkey Chops, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

I'm building a retaining wall and some raised beds out of tanalised softwood railway sleepers (200x100x2400 or 5"x4"x8ft). I was wondering what the best thing to cut this size of wood with, is! I've got a Bosch jigsaw that takes extra long blades up to 250mm. Has anyone used a jigsaw in this way? If not, what do you recommend? Maybe about 30 cuts in total for now, some of them are angled though. My hand sawing isn't the neatest or would have had a crack at it like that.

Cheers! :)

2. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

That should have said the jigsaw supports blades up to 150mm, not 250mm.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Hand saw would be a lot more accurate for the thickness. Jigsaw blade might make a straight cut on the top, but the blade will wander through the depth.

btiw2 and Monkey Chops like this.
  4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I certainly wouldn't use a jigsaw for it ... unless you're going for the wavy look.
    cut a good few sleepers a few years back, and used my Makita hand-held, corded, circular saw to do a full depth cut on each of the four sides, and then finally cut the unreachable middle bit with my handsaw.
    Mind you, mine were hard wood, real railway sleepers, so would have taken forever to cut by hand, whereas yours are softwood, so should be quite a lot easier with a good sharp handsaw. If your current hand-saw is old and blunt then this is your good excuse to treat yourself to a nice new one! :)

Monkey Chops likes this.
  5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A good handsaw is probably going to be best for you. You could knock up a giant mitre box quite simply and quickly to help with your accuracy - you could even use the sawn ends of other sleepers as a guide assuming they're square of course.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  6. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks, I will have a look at hand saws, any recommendations or will just a cheapo coarse cut stanley one do?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Bosch reciprocating saw.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

He wants a straight cut.:D

Monkey Chops likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Pretty decent cut can be achieved with a course blade and steady hand, up to 300mm thickness apparently.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  11. Monkey Chops likes this.
  12. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

V8

Simples.
    av8.jpg

PhilSo

Monkey Chops and Astramax like this.
  13. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Handsaw 20 teeth will be fine, after all its only a big softwood plank, or if you're confident a chainsaw for ends that don't butt up against another.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  14. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Those are NOT railway sleepers, wrong size and softwood! If someone sold them to you as sleepers you have been done.

KIAB likes this.
  15. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Good old fashioned axe will be perfect.

16. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Most places sell both and call them both railway sleepers. I do realise that they wouldn't use softwood for train tracks, but then again, I'm not planning on having trains running on my raised bed. The difference in price is £15 for the softwood and £26 and upwards for the oak + extra for stainless fixings, so I went with the softwood because it's not going to be load bearing and it's tanalised so should last for a good few years. Regarding the size, I had a look round and most places selling the new softwood and hardwood sleepers are the 200x100x2400, but I found some reclaimed hardwood sleepers at 150x250x2600, but were too expensive @£31+vat each. The difference in size and type of wood will not make a difference for what I'm doing, but thanks for your concern :D

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Cheese cutter good or, my absolute favourite, DYNAMITE!

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Circular saw and hand saw is how I did line. Mine were soft wood and called tram sleepers.

19. mr g imp

mr g imp New Member

I found this thread when I was searching the internet for a way to cut through reclaimed oak sleepers (the big ones that weigh about 100kg and are as hard as stone) Now I have finished the job I can comment.....

So the options are.
    1. Chainsaw - messy/dangerous/inaccurate/noisy/dangerous
    2. Stihl saw with ripper blade - expensive! And also dangerous/noisy
    3. Reciprocating saw - inaccurate/time consuming
    4. Circular saw - won’t go all the way through
    5. Hand saw - hard work

I ended up using a hand saw - it was not too bad, get a couple of new saws before you start. It takes a few minutes to get through each one but they are by far the most economical way of doing the job and you can get a very accurate cut if you mark out right.

Isitreally likes this.
  20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Buy a good quality coarse cut teflon coated handsaw for this.

Bit more expensive but you will not regret it as it is a lot lot easier than some cheapo £5 saw.