What to do with paving against house?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Osmoll, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Osmoll

Osmoll New Member

We recently moved in and the paving against the front of our terrace home was covering some of the airbricks. I've started cutting a channel across the paving slabs and dug down so there was some drop off from the height of the airbricks.

My question regarding this is, what exactly should I do? Could I just dig down and fill with gravel to help with drainage? I'm in a terrace house and the pavement is about 2 metres from the front of the house.

Attached Files:

2. PN Notts

PN Notts New Member

Good job rectifying as you don't want to be obstructing your air bricks. I would put a small layer of Scottish style pebbles down as would be decorative but also allow some airflow. You could also build around the airbrick so you maintain a clear airflow. Anything but silty slate and fine stone mixes

3. Osmoll

Osmoll New Member

Yeh as soon as I saw that I was like hmmmm I'm sure that's not right!

Any idea how deep down I should dig before filling with pebbles? Stuff around 20mm in size okay to use?

4. PN Notts

PN Notts New Member

If already below the dpc line, say dig about 100mm and then back fill about 50mm. The pebbles are usually 20mm to 40mm, but anything over 20mm would work well too. Ideally you want to be 150mm below the dpc at finished level so how much you need to dig down might depend on this.

5. Osmoll

Osmoll New Member

I'm not entirely sure which part would be the start of the DPC. Would it be where the black paint starts?

Attached Files:

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

DPC should be just under where the white ends.