What tool for DIYer cutting loft boarding?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Marcos Scriven, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Marcos Scriven

Marcos Scriven New Member

I've ordered 15 T&G boards to cover part of the loft - wondering what's the best tool to cut them to length?

Would a cheap jigsaw be better than a mini circular saw? Basically I'd like something that would be handy more than once, and I don't see myself cutting a lot of wood!

Would a multi cutter do 15 boards at a stretch, as that looks like something that would be more handy to have as an occasional DIYer.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

CGN and Marcos Scriven like this.
  3. Marcos Scriven

Marcos Scriven New Member

I ought to have mentioned - I do envisage putting up shelves, and cutting out a cat flap hole from a uPVC panel.

How long would a person of average DIY skill take to saw 60cm of 22mm chip board?

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

using an ordinary handsaw.... even for a newbie to DIY, less than 90 seconds.
    For someone experienced, 25-30 seconds.

Just buy a cheap handsaw as previously suggested!
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-jack-universal-saw-22/32045

Regards,
    Cando

CGN and Marcos Scriven like this.
  5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Hand saw or jig saw with orbital action.

6. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

The problem with power tools (and hand tools) is to use them safely you need to be able to support the work piece and also hold a straight edge in place to cut along.

The German outlets (Aldi, Lidl) have reasonable beginers tools, plus clamps etc. Quite cheaply. Remember to wear safety glasses and with fibre boards a face mask.

So your choice is £7 for a reasonable hand saw or about £75 for a powered version and accesories

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

15 boards? 15? a hand saw!

CGN likes this.
  8. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Doubt he has to cut them all ...??

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

It's a funny thing that peeps only think about power tools. Hand tools still do the business! I have a few wooden planes I very occasionally use for profiles. The oldest one I have was made between 1785 and 1788 and after a bit of fettling still cuts a decent ogee. I have a few hollows and rounds which are handy!

I also have 3-4 various metal planes dated from pre-1940 and still just as good as new to use.

10. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Must admit, very rarely use hand tools these days, even had to hunt for an old fashioned manual screwdriver recently :oops:

11. malkie129

malkie129 Well-Known Member

Must admit I am the same with screwdrivers,except for minor adjustments to items. My little 10.8 drill driver is so handy & usually the 1st tool that I reach for. :rolleyes:

12. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Member

i can feel the blister coming up from using manual screwdrivers jos my hands have gone soft ??

13. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

A good sharp hand saw will fly through most types of timber and track saw aside, is prob the most accurate.

WillyEckerslike and chippie244 like this.