what tools do i need to do commercial tiling

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by kitchen69, Jan 26, 2008.

1. kitchen69

kitchen69 New Member

hi

i want to work in tiling doing commercial work.

i have some tools

a rubi ts50 plus
    nippers
    rubi 3mm mosaic trowel, 6mm and 10mm half moom
    plasplugs master tiler wet cutter

and a selection of hand tools, levels, hammer etc

a guy a worked for said id need the following to do commercial works, is this true

laser level
    pro wet cutter rubi dw200lps minimum
    an angle grinder
    diamond drill bits
    rubi tx700n or rubi ts70
    and maybe a rubi tx900n because of the larger tiles
    cordless drill, circ saw, for plying out floors
    mixer for adhesive

it seems alot of outlay, but if its needed then i'll have to get saving

any views and anything else needed

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

and the van.....

3. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

no foreman is going to check your tools when you turn up on site. just use what you feel comfortable with but obviously the better the tool you can afford will cut down your time and make a better job.

ive worked on sites where tilers have turned up with plasplugs plastic cutters and to be honest with you i cant fault most of their work just takes them a bit longer than me :)

4. kitchen69

kitchen69 New Member

hi leaky

i am in the process of buying a van. i was looking at a few. do you have a recommendation? i have 8k to spend.
    was looking at a ford connect or a transit, but i like the look of the mercedes vito.would you recommend anything inparticular, any advice would be appreciated

i hear what you are saying about tools, tilers etc. its the skill that matters not the tools. its just that i have saved some money and i was looking at the good tools making the job easier. i will work hard at my tiling. i really like the trade and i am going to give it 100 percent. i am 44 and i have left it late but i have building and some tiling experience so it it takes 2-3 years to get to a good standard maybe more then i can at least get 15-20 years out of the trade.

k69

5. Bigplumber

Bigplumber New Member

HI Kitchen 69

I came back to the trade at 38 after a break of 15 years, just had 6 months off for new knees but thankfully I was insured.

I do occasional commercial work and have built up tools over the years, but my best tool is a Rubi TS50Plus, that does 80% of my cuts.

I also have a plasplugs cutter for smaller jobs, does the job just for going round sockets. I also have a bigger table top cutter and one on legs that soaks me.

As far as hand tools I have an angle ginder from screwfix that I don't use too often but is in the van and all the various trowels with notches from 3mmv to 12mm U, various grouting tools and grout/silicone profiling tools.

I now have a mixer for adhesive as my drill packed up, but you can always mix by hand, and a good set of drill bits for tiles, if you dip a carbon drill occasionally in water you can eventually get through a porcelin tile.

I dont ply floors anymore, I use a marmox construction board that I can cut with a knife and I always use Ditra matting. As most floors I now do are with electric UFH the boards insulate the floor and the matting accommodates any movement. Been using it for two years and never had a complaint.

6. dangerousdistress

dangerousdistress New Member

big plumber

Sorry to hi jack this thread, but i was interested in your comments re ditra matting. I had an unfortunate experience with travertive tiles which still cracked despite being fixed with flex adhesive to 12 mm ply screwed at 200 center to the unlying chipboard on a suspended timber floor.

Would ditra have resolved the problem and would it still have be necessary to have used the ply if I had used the matting?

Thanks

DD