What Topper For Natural Mattress

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by gibbsy09, Oct 31, 2021.

1. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

Hi I've had my mattress for about three months now no brand, got it from divan beds direct, its hand made, tufted etc, but it's just too hard I have got two bad shoulders at the minute, and I'm feeling it on my hips as well with this mattress, I recently reached out to (John Ryan by design) and one of there advisors gave me a little advice, she told me to get a topper and try and soften the Mattress too take some pressure off.

Heres the one recommended, https://www.soakandsleep.com/super-soft-hollowfibre-mattress-toppers.html

I replyed back to her, and asked would I not be better getting a memory foam topper, she said no because my mattress is natural fibres she recommends sticking with a natural topper for breathability, but does it really matter what I put on top, I just want to take the pressure off my shoulders and hips, and I've read that the hollow fibre ones are good for a couple of months then just thin out, on saying that though it is hard to get a decent foam topper these days as well, eg lots have chemical smells, and all in all the quality is just not there, really can't decide, any advice appreciated.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Contour pillow is worth a try as I can't sleep without one. Converted a few mates to them.
    Neck and shoulders support.

I'd get a memory foam topper as I'm all in on memory foam and normally buy the refurbished mattress and last one was a simba (trial one that got returned) off ebay as not paying £600 for one.

They clean and recover so good as new imo

Simba toppers refurbished here with £20 off if you look at advert here and tick box on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simba-Hy...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

However maybe cheaper options available for memory foam topper. They take a while to get used to because they feel warm under you

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  3. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

Hi Thanks I actually not long had a nectar on trial, nearly had it for the full year, but in the end I sent it back, cause it just wasn't right, that's part of the reason my right shoulder got messed up, I ended up sleeping on the couch for nearly 4 months, cause I never planned ahead, shoulders not recovered since, not tried simba topper are they soft, just need something that's not pushing back on me too much. Could you send a link for the contour pillow so I could look into it please?

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

5. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

6. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

@gibbsy09
    I bought a latex topper and they are very good if you get the correct one.

I went all in and bought a Talalay 8cm thick - soft (king size), but it cost me over £300 and that was imported from America.
    To purchase the same one from UK supplier was over £500.

I had already purchased a quality pocket sprung mattress but found this (over time) to be too firm.

I'm a side sleeper too and THE ONLY person that I have seen mentioning side vs back sleeping, when choosing mattresses, was a Chiropractor.
    Most back ache sufferers get recommended an Orthopaedic Mattress but this does not apply to side sleepers.
    Same with pillows, a higher loft is required to be more comfortable whilst on your side.

Next time I am going to look at mattresses incorporating a latex topper.
    Latex is natural and it tends to keep you cooler rather than too warm as memory foam can.

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah it will. I sleep on side and my back. Bliss.

8. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

Yes I also get back ache as well, the mattress I have is not bad supporting my back, but it's just too firm, I know now I should never have got a tuffded one, and went for quilted and a smooth finish, mines has little canyons with buttons, the buttons are soft but I just don't like the way it undulates, if I went for that topper it would be more expensive than my mattress lol, my mattress was £280.00 lol.

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

10. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

I had same thoughts as you so I took all but the bottom row of tufts out of mine........... no issues at all. Genuine.
    (I don't know why I left the bottom row in)

Top 3/4 is lovely and flat, and my mattress wasn't cheap either. (not bragging)

Moral of the story, take em out if you don't like em.........

11. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

Hi interesting they're not really hard buttons, it's just like bunched up wool sewn down into the fabric, not really sure if we're on the same page or I'm getting the wrong idea, so is it the buttons sewn down into the fabric that kind of causes the little craters, then if you remove the buttons the craters flatten, would that not ruin the mattress and you would end up with a hole where the button was, or am I getting the wrong idea lol, appreciate a reply.

12. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

Can you explain what you mean please.

13. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

Bolt rocket.

14. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

Do you know how to spell the word, if you're not here to help, then just do one

15. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Not sure what them last 3 posts are about but if this is genuine questioning.........

bunched up wool, exactly like mine were (bottom row / by feet still are)

Exactly as you say, you're not getting the wrong idea. And I have had NO ISSUES with mine since cutting the ties off a good few years ago. Leaves the mattress top nice and flat. No real noticeable hole as mine has a nice fleecy top, but you obvs wouldn't be able to see them anyway, so no worries.
    Mine is on a solid base.

16. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

20211104_040655.jpg 8
    Yep the other posts were just trying to take the mick, obviously nothing better to do with thier time lol, I've uploaded a pic this is what is under the button, it's a plastic tag think that's what holds the tuft in place and draws in the fabric, did yours look anything like this, if not think mines might be harder to remove, and I don't know how far down that tag goes, so could possibly ruin the mattress if I remove it.

17. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Up to you.
    It may (or may not) be a problem if you need to lift or remove the mattress for any reason but other than that.......

As I said, no issues with mine and exactly the same tufting. And you don't have to remove the string from the underside. Just leave it there. Just cut the top bit off......... if they bug you.

18. gibbsy09

gibbsy09 Member

Hi not really sure what you you mean string on the underside, mines is double sided so it's turntable, and has the buttons both sides, did your one have those little plastic tags as well?