What trade would screeding come under?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by FUNDIMOLD, Oct 6, 2021.

1. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

Hello, I'm taking up a tiled bathroom floor. The tiles are stuck to 20mm tongue and groove chipboard which has been partially saturated thanks to a chronic leak over a couple of years. The boards rest on a solid concrete base which seems it will be fine when it dries out. I'd like to install a vinyl floor but the concrete is a bit lumpy and could use a screed to iron out the bumps. Is it ok to lay vinyl directly on to screed or is a board base essential? I'm looking at Mybuilder to find someone to do this work but don't know what trade group I should be getting to quote. Any ideas folks? cheers.

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Plasterers used to be the trade for screeds, before they forgot how. If you have a minimum of 20mm a sand cement screed is ok if bonded to the concrete, but a SLC is less labour intensive and drys quicker to receive the flooring, any tradesman should be capable of putting SLC down if you look at sand cement then an old plasterer or brickie :)

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Tends to be more than one person and need mixer ect so they advertise as flooring / screed.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  4. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

Thanks for your prompt and helpful replies. It seems to be one of those jobs that quite a few trades could tackle as part of their general skill set but given my lack of time and a need to keep the 'mess' factor to a minimum (all access areas recently decorated:eek:) I'm keen to get someone who does this a lot!

5. A good floorlayer should be able to do this with a self levelling latex that is suitable for those depths

6. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

Update. The company I've bought the new vinyl from took care of the screeding (I've only used them for carpet in the past). Because I needed to match to the 'old' depth of tongue and groove plus floor tile they are doing it in two sessions. First layer went down yesterday. Looks good already. Cheers all.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  7. Labrajaws

Labrajaws New Member

I need to do something similar before the fitters come to lay new laminate over an area that is partially concrete (screed) and had vinyl tiles (now removed due to cracks) and is now 3mm lower than the concrete area. I was wondering if the lower area needs to be screeded with latex first to bring that level up to the concrete, then the whole area screeded a 2nd time when the 1st has set? Thanks

Attached Files:

8. I 'm not a floor layer but I'm sure most self levelling compounds could do that in one go

Labrajaws likes this.
  9. Labrajaws

Labrajaws New Member

Thanks, any idea if the area that was tiled before would need a DPM installed (the fitter did not bring a moisture meter when he measured but thought damp was not an issue).

I was thinking of Wickes Bitumen Damp Proof Membrane Liquid before screeding...

10. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

Update. The floor company came a third time as my plumber said the depth needed to be brought up to a level at which he could reinstall the loo with sufficient drop between the pan outlet and the corresponding pipe in the wall. He also told me the floor wasn't quite level. The floor company has put both right. They actually said they can't call it self levelling screed - they call it self smoothing!:confused::)