What TV Aerial To Get?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dilligaf, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member

What outside TV aerial should I get. Do you receive more channels if you have an aerial with a wider frequency range?
    If it helps I live in Honiton Devon!

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Dilligaf likes this.
  3. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member

Well actually that is what happened not so long ago with the last storm we had, it's located on the roof and the wind broke the pole and it fell onto the roof tiles putting a hole into the loft.
    I now need to replace a tile or two and replace the aerial lol. This time though I will make sure the pole is strengthened...

Thanks for the link, I will have a look.

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Dilligaf likes this.
  5. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

It’s a long time since I installed a TV aerial, because mine work and there has not been any need to change them.

Back when I did the plan was to look to see where all your neighbours aerials are pointing and then determine which transmitter they are using, then look to see if their aerials have a colour coded plug in the end of it and if they are stood vertically or lay flat.

In the days of analogue transmissions you could get a ghost image on your TV, because you would get the signal from the nearest transmitter, then a slightly delayed signal from another transmitter a bit further away.

It help to avoid this the signals were polarised, some went out vertically and some horizontally, which is why some aerials are vertical and dome horizontal to catch the intended signal, plus aerials were tuned to particular transmitters hence the colour coding and obviously it needs to be pointing the right way.

Years ago I had a green aerial stood vertically pointing the same way as all my neighbours, then I climbed onto the roof and installed a red aerial lay flat pointing the other way, because when Channel 4 was introduced it wasn’t available from all transmitters do I needed to swap from the local relay transmitter to the big main transmitter, my neighbours could not work out what I was doing, but we ended up with four channels instead of three, those were the days :D

In the days of digital I’m not sure if any of that still holds true, eventually I moved my aerials into the loft where they are fixed to a length of 22 mm copper pipe tuned to the main transmitter and I have not needed alter, looking on Google Street view I can see we are still the odd ones out with the neighbours having aerials on their chimneys pointing the other way and vertical rather than flat.

If you buy an aerial from Screwfix or online they will sell you a “one size fits all” universal aerial.

Dilligaf likes this.
  6. The Happy Builder

Dilligaf likes this.
  7. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Polarisation ie horizontal or vertical is dependent on wether your using a main or relay transmitter. I know cos in Cumbria where I am we are on a relay and don’t get the full set of free veil channels

Dilligaf likes this.
  8. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member

Wow that's a really interesting read for sure and I appreciate the time you took to type this. You say that you could see the aerials on our chimneys pointing vertical? The boom of the aerial's point horizontal though don't they unless it's not what you meant?

9. FlyByNight

The main arm/boom is horizontal - the elements spaces along that are either vertical or horizontal:

[​IMG]

Dilligaf likes this.
  10. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member

Ah I see what you mean now, that's brilliant posting this photo thanks for your help dude...

11. The Happy Builder

So sit on your settee and have a look at the aerials on the roofs around you on Google Street view to save going out in the wet and cold with a big torch or wait until it has hot light tomorrow.

That is of course assuming your neighbours have good TV reception and all the available terrestrial channels.

12. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member

Ha, I'll do both I think lol

13. FlyByNight

When you finally buy one - do not go for the cheapest. It really is a case of more expensive, better quality. As mentioned above - speak to Blakes, a majority of theirs are UK (Sheffield) made.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Why not get a Satellite dish installed?

15. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member

Okay thanks for that dude

16. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member

Would that do the same then? It would cost a lot more wouldn’t it?

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Over 7000 tv stations and circa 2000 radio stations plus HDTV channels, dish about £80 plus the satellite box which aren't that costly. Depends what satellite the dish is locked onto. A local satellite installation company would be the best to ask.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Dilligaf likes this.
  18. The Happy Builder

Can you find anything to watch?

malkie129 likes this.
  19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Very little tbh.:(

malkie129 likes this.
  20. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member