What type of paint should I use?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Dermac, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Dermac

Dermac New Member

Would appreciate any advice.

I need to paint the roof covering of my bay window and not sure what best paint to use. It is some type of metal (tin? galvanised?) do not think it is lead apart from the lead attaching the roof cover to the roughcast at the top. 15 year old Persimmons house. See photo.

Derek

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. The covering on your bay is more than likely Zinc,but if it is Zinc it should not have a Lead flashing as the two metals interact.

The product linked to by kiab is for repairing leaks,is not a paint and would not look good on your bay.

This may do the job,but not having read the instructions or being a painter I cannot guarantee it.
    https://www.rawlinspaints.com/home/...ser-allcoat-exterior-satin-solvent-based.html
    Astramax hopefully will you you proper advice on this, if this product is suitable or advise a suitable product.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They say it's for general sealing, maintenance,water-proofing (and not just leaks:eek:) of most common roofs in wet or dry conditions like lead, copper and zinc to list a few.

5. He wants to paint his roof,evercryl is not a paint and does not look good when applied,it is what it is, a stopgap temporary waterproofing solution.

It is not to make the appearance of the roof to look better which the poster thinks painting it will do.

Personally I would leave the roof as it is and not paint it.

6. RobMoore

RobMoore New Member

Isn't zinc the metal used in galzanising?

If so very little will reliably stick to it!

Zinc roofing is used because it needs no maintenance for the life of the product. Maybe look at cleaning products if that's the problem.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If the roof requires painting I would prime it after a good clean and paint it with Zinsser Bullseye 123 as a primer or straight on with Bedec Barn Paint mixed to the shade that the op wants.....................but I wouldn't paint it as after a while it will look cak!:eek:

Deleted member 11267 likes this.