what type of plywood

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by WARREN 66, Apr 19, 2009.

1. WARREN 66

WARREN 66 New Member

hi all, going to tile over plywood which will be screwed to concrete floor,wondering what type of plywood? and will be using a flexible adhesive, is that correct thx

2. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

Why not tile direct onto concrete after first priming ?

A good flexible adhesive like Nicobond rapidset.

3. Steve Yorks

Steve Yorks New Member

Yep, or if you do use ply any exterior grade wbp ply will do. Minimum British standards is 18mm thick. Make sure you prime the ply on the back and sides before tiling.

4. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

why ply?

5. Able8

Able8 New Member

I've had some bad experiences with ply. After sending off one bit of ply (which had failed)to Nicobond it transpires that some manufacturers spray a thin film of oil on the sheets to stop them sticking together when they are stacked high. This means no matter what priming you do the adhesive may not stick. Anyway, why use ply on concrete?

6. WARREN 66

WARREN 66 New Member

well i am removing parquet flooring 18mm, so need to build the height up to meet other floors,so does ply need priming even if u use a flexible adhesive thx

7. tic tic

tic tic New Member

why not try insulation boards they range from 6mm - 60mm prime concrete with sbr i tend to do this twice.. up the room then across it.. put boards down on spf then tile away

8. Thats not my name

Thats not my name New Member

No ply does not need priming.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

yes it does

10. GKU

GKU New Member

Ply <u>DOES</u> need priming ;)

11. WARREN 66

WARREN 66 New Member

what is the best primer to use then on the plywood, is pva anygood

12. tic tic

tic tic New Member

NO.. 2 PVA...prime underside an edges with bal sbr..

13. imran_

imran_ New Member

Agreed.

14. Thats not my name

Thats not my name New Member

Apologies i thought he was asking does the ply need priming on the side that he is tiling, silly me.