What Type of Varnish??

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by PeterK, Jan 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. PeterK

PeterK Member

Hello,

I'm making a oak staircase, and I'm looking for a suitable varnish to coat it with. The stairs is going to take a lot of traffic in my house so will need to be hard wearing.

Looking for good suggestions, Thanks...

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

An oil finish would be the best choice.

Look at either Treatex or Osmo oil available in satin or matt finish.

PeterK and KIAB like this.
  3. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Used Osmo - really impressed!

PeterK likes this.
  4. PeterK

PeterK Member

I wouldn't have thought about using oil as I thought it wouldn't be as hard wearing as maybe a two part varnish, I thought about using Sadolin pv67 the two part stuff.
    I've had a little read about Osmo oil, it sounds alright.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  5. Check out their products such as Polyx - designed for hard-wearing floors and furniture.

It's not 'oil' as you know it.

Haven't used the stuff myself, but everything I've read about it was very positive.

6. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Years ago I used Bourne Seal which was hard but cracked off under traffic. Perhaps look at their tech. data. There may ne something in the fact that heavy wear areas can be re treated. Jitender has masses of experience - perhaps he knows best!o_O

7. PeterK

PeterK Member

I wouldn't have thought about using oil as I thought it wouldn't be as hard wearing as maybe a two part varnish, I thought about using Sadolin pv67 the two part stuff.
    Osmo oil sounds ok though after I've had a little read.

8. PeterK

PeterK Member

How well does this last, how often would it have to be retreated?

9. Another way to go is to just use a known product such as Dulux or Ronseal (Diamond Hard) water-based varnishes.

Being water-based, they won't 'yellow' the lovely timber too much, and they are surprisingly durable. Very easy to apply, gives a nice finish, and is easy to re-coat every couple of years.

How much traffic is a 'lot' of traffic? And will peeps be wearing outdoor shoes on it?

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I used Osmo Top Oil (High solid) to do some recent solid wood worktops, normally I have been using danish oil. There are a number of products available.

I think Kiab and another member had mentioned using it, only had to do 2-3 coats and good coverage.

upload_2016-1-21_9-53-39.png

KIAB likes this.
  11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  12. PeterK

PeterK Member

Yes they will be outdoor shoes on it I would think.

13. Hmm, in which case you might have to look at 2-pack stuff, or similar. (I used a very smelly ('high') but single-pack 'varnish'/glaze on parquet flooring in a previous house, and it was certainly durable.

But, with these products I suspect you'll end up with a thick 'plastic-looking' coating that I have to say is not my cup of tea.

'Diamond Hard' is good stuff - surprisingly hard-wearing. But expect to have to re-coat every couple of years or so.