what u/c to use on stained spindles before gloss?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jolly bodger, Oct 5, 2010.

1. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Hi all,

Been asked to paint a large staircase white that's currently stained. Never had to go from one to the other before on a staircase, so after some opinions about what primer/undercoat to use.

Have used Zinsser BIN before on a prepped stained surface but wasn't overly impressed as the gloss chipped back to the stained surface upon impact. Also, I find BIN a pain to use as it dries so fast, so don't really fancy using it on a complicated staircase.

Old client or I'd've swerved the job, especially as it's 107 spindles, 15 newel posts and 12 handrails, so I'll probably be a bit nutty by the end of the week!!

Tempted to make the quote V expensive instead, but as ever, any help appreciated :)

2. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

3. painterbird

painterbird New Member

as for a primer before i worked as self employed the company used aluminium wood primer on a stained wood that was to be painted white..never saw the stain again!

4. I would use BIN for this but I would ignore the claims that no sanding or de-glossing is required. I would prep by using sanding pads wetted in a sugar soap solution, wash down, then prime with the BIN. I apply it with a mini emulsion roller, I can get loads of BIN on real FAST that way. Then apply Crown SOLO gloss or satin again, with a mini emulsion roller but laying off with a Purdy or similar. Used this method on hundreds of previously varnished stair spindles with great success. With handrails I would usually apply 2 two coats of quick dry primer undercoat over the BIN, sanding between coats to get a super slick finish.

5. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Thanks for the replies,

GC, I'd never have considered that in a million years - like you say, the unexpected option!

was it yourself who posted a comparison of different undercoats on here a while back? I seem to remember it made interesting reading but I can't remember which was the best product!

6. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Correct jolly:

I'll post it later.

Prepare for a :O

7. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Here it is..

[​IMG]

So...To be fair. I've just got Lorraine ;) to give them all a scrape :O and see which is best/ worst.

In usual countdown fashion "paint pickers", it's..

Worst.......

6 - Zinsser bin

5 - Zinsser 123

4 - Mcpheson's undercoat

3 - Crown Solo satin

2 - Crown Solo gloss

and the number 1 this week by a mile, is.....

1 - Dulux Trade Quick Drying Wood Primer Undercoat

8. StinkNugget

StinkNugget Member

Interesting stuff :) I would have plumped for Dulux Aluminium Wood Primer in this instance.

Yeah BIN is a pain in the @ss on fiddly areas due to very short open time. I usually use a brush for the fiddly bits then for larger areas get a couple of coats on with a foam roller followed by a gentle rub down with Between Coats (or a pad on fiddly bits to avoid taking the BIN straight back off on the corners)

:)