What version of leave is acceptable as leave?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by chippie244, Mar 26, 2019.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Fair enough but that really doesn't exist in England.

Heat likes this.
  2. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

The lower islands of the Utter Hebrides is Catholic, and the northern ones 'Protestant'. They regard each other with mild bemused cynicism, and nothing more. There is more infighting between the various Protestant factions than anything else. By 'infighting' I mean bemused cynicism.

It's all very bemusing.

3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I suppose no different than any different groups ‘separated’ by various reasons across the U.K. or anywhere in the world. It seems human stupidity to be suspicious or to dislike those people different to you, be it those on the other side of a mountain, border, or of a different faith.
    There can be genuine reasons though for separation and distrust between peoples and in NI there is good reason. You wouldn’t be bemused with that once you lived there and experienced the realities of it all

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Your reasons are because the church is too involved in government.

Heat likes this.
  5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Yes, that is one of the reasons.
    But divisions go deep throughout all institutions.
    Still not addressed.

6. Odd Bodkin

Odd Bodkin Active Member

Your last paragraph deserves a longer answer than i have time or space to give here and it's really well away from the topic.
    I'd sum it up by tarring Protestants in general with the same brush: the peace is a paper thin agreement that could break with the slightest misstep and this border issue in Brexit negotiations highlights the thin ice all concerned tred with any change in the current status quo.

If you want real peace in Ulster, tell those marching bands to put a sock in it, for a start.

Vixere likes this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

8. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

And prohibit segregation of schools.

Poor wee kids. Let them play together. You never know what they might learn.

(That goes for all of the UK... religious schools ma botty).

Heat likes this.
  9. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

"Vixere"
    What did you think it meant?
    Also, I could be wrong.

10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Why are you “tarring Protestants in general with the same brush” ?
    They are generally free thinkers anyhow.

You also claim the peace is paper thin. Who do you think will break the “peace” (use or support violence)?
    Also take note the only active terrorists at present are republican and dissident republican (yes, from the catholic side).
    Any changes to the status quo would not be from Protestants, but actually a border down Irish Sea supported by some nationalists which goes against the Good Friday Agreement.
    All Protestant parties support open border, but many not the backstop.

No I won’t tell marching bands to stop. That would be pointless. Massive support and plenty are decent bands and people. Strange how a catholic who can support IRA would say a band is offensive.

But it would be good if Republican marches and terrorist commemorations were stopped and also that the Irish language wasn’t being used as a weapon of division in an attempt to undermine Protestants. (Trojan horse)
    Also good if support wasn’t given to men and women of violence and continued division.
    Could you tell the Catholic, or more precisely, Republican people to stop playing their fake game and actually have some respect and decency as the British side in NI do know what it is really about?
    Do you think they would listen though?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think this whole post points to the problem as according to you it's all the Catholics fault and I'm sure they think the same about the Protestants.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

13. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

Latiniterally, "they lived". But I hadn't realised the implied meaning was 'they are now deed'.

I know there's summat clever and pithy I should be able to add to my choice of username, but I'm not clever enough nor have enough pith.

I couldn't, for example, suggest that previous usernames on here are now deed, 'cos that would suggest I am a reincarnation. And I mustn't suggest that at all at all.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  14. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

au contraire I think you are full of pith :)

15. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

My reply was to a post which seemed to lean unfairly against Protestants.
    I wish the same emphasis would be applied against those that are the real threat to peace and stability.
    Some scrutiny should be on Republican behaviour. Not that I expect the BBC to do that.
    The EU vote has been an excuse for some people to play a blame game.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

This needs a different post but almost nobody in England worries about whether someone is a Protestant or Catholic but it seems to be an obsession with the Irish.

17. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Not totally true though.
    I read and hear some people in England singling out a religion in NI to blame for Brexit or some alleged threat to peace, etc, etc.
    Would be fair enough if they knew what they were talking about, or were correct.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They are talking about your divide not participating in it.

19. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

True. They might not think they agree with the religious divide, but some will then somehow divide NI into a religious group to point the finger at a religion there as being at fault.
    That to me is getting close to sectarian behaviour, ironically.

Although the divisions now made across U.K. on Remainers vs Leavers is also equally ridiculous.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But you have divided yourself on religious grounds so it's bound to be brought up.