What weatherproof seal

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by billathome65, Jul 22, 2019.

1. billathome65

billathome65 Member

Hi guys I'm in the process of repairing and preparing a hardwood window frame, sill and porch for re-staining and I need a paintable / stainable flexible sealant. I know dow corning 791 is a very good sealant and comes in brown. However I can't seem to find any information with respect to it being or not being paintable? If not what other sealants preferably in brown would be best suited and hard-wearing?

Cheers Bill

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

791 is a silicone sealant so will not take paint long term, usually clear silicone is used on framework perimeters as the clear is reasonably translucent therefore keeping the appearance of crisp straight edges, you may have to look at flexible mastic, give Dow Corning Technical Department a call as they will advise the best paintable sealant for the job.

3. billathome65

billathome65 Member

Cheers for that. I was under the impression as I'd done a search for a butyl mastic that the 791 fell into that category as that was what came up and I've used it in the past but never painted over it. I do wish search engines would give you what your looking for. There are that many sealants out there at the moment it's difficult to find something that meets your specific requirements thanks for the info Astramax from my time on the forum you seem to be the go to man these days.