Whatever happened to Part P?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tired of it all, Jan 11, 2010.

1. tired of it all

tired of it all New Member

Evening all! Although I have been reading this forum with great interest for some years, I have just registered and this is my first post. I was prompted to come on because everyone has lately gome quiet on the subject of Part P. Why is this? Is it just accepted as an Act of God, about which nothing can be done, or are electricians simply choosing to ignore it? I have been an NICEIC Approved Contractor for years, but I have now have serious doubts about them; they seem to have gone from an industry "standard" to a blatantly commercial organisation since 2005. I have also rarely met a client who has any idea what Part P is about. I am thinking of resigning my enrolment, and while this would make no difference to my commercial work, I'm not sure how I could avoid paying large sums to Building Control to notify work. Comments?

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi mate

Are you self-employed? Nothing has happened to Part P as far as I can see. Its still the same. Nobody has a clue what it is and customers couldn't care less. That's about it really. Not going to stop me being registered though. NAPIT are a decent bunch. Nobody has ever heard of them and customers couldn't care less. Nope. Nowts changed really.

:)

3. tired of it all

tired of it all New Member

I'm still self-employed after all these years! I've just called Napits and they want £300 = VAT for a years membership. One inspection visit a year, one site only required and that can be a Periodic or work in my own house. (These are for transfers from other schemes, not sure about new applicants).
    In all the years that i have been NICEIC approved, I can honestly say that none of my work was a result of my approval; few of my clients, domestic or commercial, had even heard of them. None of then in recent years know anything about Part P either.
    All I am interested in now is complying with Part P as cheaply as possible. Although I don't work full time now, if I do more than three jobs a year it will be cheaper to register than to pay Building Control £120 plus VAT for a notification.
    My opinion of Part P , despite being wildly optimistic in 2004/5, is that "P is for Pointless". It makes a lot of money for the scheme operators, and keeps a lot of guys in suits and ties in a good living, but what figures are available suggest the accident rate has gone up since 2005 (for domestic fires caused by dodgy electrics). It taxes the guilty and leaves the cowboys to get off scot free, just like all bad laws. In an election year, we should all be writing to our MP's (and the opposition). They do pay attention you know! 60,000 in the UK, half on Part P schemes (Govn. figures); that would make a difference if we all emailed them!

4. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

yawn

cheers

steve

5. propper spark

propper spark Member

Tired, What do you mean what’s happened to it. Nothings changed. Its still as **** as it was the day it was produced. Id love to say don't talk ******** or what a load of ****, but unfortunately your spot on. If it makes you feel any better I’m also a sad sucker that became a approved contractor with the nic many years ago and was led to believe how it would change my business and help me move forward. I think what they ment to say was you being a member of us with help us to live in luxury forever. And as for submitting jobs I stopped paying that a long time ago as who knows at the end of the day or even cares. Save your money and live better.

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The problem is, properspark, and I don't doubt for a minute that your work is anything less than 100% professional, but if your charging and your not registered or notifying, then this makes you nothing more than a COWBOY.

7. Unbelievable.
    Colombo is still judging people he doesn't even know!!!
    What gives you the right Colombo?

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Because the law says if you charge a customer for notifiable work then you must either notify BC or be registered. Ergo, if you want to BE a professional then you must ACT as a professional.

Whats difficult to understand about that?

9. propper spark

propper spark Member

I couldn’t agree with you more. I always do my work to the same standard and all my customers are very happy and have used me for years. I always certify my work even if I’m just changing a light fitting for what it takes to fill in a minor works I do it. But when you do hundreds of jobs a year and you add up how much you spent for them sending out silly bits of worthless paper then you begin to feel what a waste of time. Especially when you ask a customer, Did you get anything through the post for when I changed your mains board and they say yeh but I binned it or were you asked for any paper work when you sold your house and they say no. Then why bother.

10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

shrug, your still a cowboy.

11. propper spark

propper spark Member

Just another point regarding the part P scam. Has anyone ever arrainged to have there work inspected by building controll. I ask this bcause one of my mates did as hes unable to self cert. When the inspector came my mate was kean to show of his work and pointed out how he had designed the installation causing as little distrupion as poisble in the event of a fault and then showing how he had ran his cables in the correct zones in the kitchen area. At this point the inspecter stopped him and said listen mate, what your saying means nothing to me, but it looks good anyway and went. Now ask yourself, How would that make you feel.

12. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

When a simular thing happened to me, it made me feel like * but I still did it, 'cos it's the law and I aint a cowboy.

[Edited by: admin]

13. propper spark

propper spark Member

To call someone a cowboy who has gained his qualifications needed to carry out his job to the highest standard, who pays good money to be part of a body, good money for test equipment and is calibrated every year as well as checked against a known source through out the year, Advertises with the most known company’s, pays employers liability, public liability, has all vans sign written and all workers in uniform. High percentage of work is cheque and tax paid, all jobs certified and guaranteed. I find a bit wrong. I’m more then sure most electricians out there don't do that. Anyhow what the hell, I’m off to feed my horse.

14. kazoobag1

kazoobag1 Member

WELL SAID PROPER SPARKS
    Agree completely

15. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Shrug - if your registered and notifying then your not a cowboy. It's just your op would indicate to me that you are not = cowboy.

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

kazzobag, are you another cowboy?

17. For gods sake colombo climb out of your own * will you!

I dont care if you 'think' he's a cowboy.
    It is blindingly obvious that hes is not.

Quite why you have to vent your opinions of people on this forum are beyond me!

[Edited by: admin]

18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If he isn't registered and he is charging customers how can he possibly be anything other than a cowboy?

19. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

In fact, your attitude to this topic would suggest to me that is exactly the way you are operating.

20. Incorrect colombo.
    I like part P.
    I charge £17.50 for each registration.

My customers like the fancy printout they recieve.

Still don't think old matey is a cowboy though.
    Nor do i think you should slate him on this forum.