Whats a good day rate for working in London?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by !!, Oct 26, 2006.

1. !!

!! New Member

I've been offered some 2nd fix work in london (Wembely area) £220 for a 10 hour day.

Any advice

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

my quotes in central london are based on £25 per hour PLUS parking and diesel and conjestion charge.

Parking can cost £22 a day and if your van exceeds the height limit for the nearest car park DONT forget to add the taxi fares. One job in Hyde Park cost £12 a day taxi fares from the car park to the job

3. !!

!! New Member

no wonder they are shopping around hopping us northern monkeys will do the job.

so any less than £300 quid is a insult

4. foxy

foxy New Member

Wembley is outer London and not in the congestion charge zone and parking shouldn't be a problem.
    £220 seems about right for there and given the glut of eastern european 'chippies' in London I'm surprised they are trying to pull in trades from up north. Perhaps the Poles are putting their rates up. ;)

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

they have been importing labour from up north for over a 100 years

Parking in wembley is cheaper and no conjestion charge

6. STGO

STGO New Member

yeh foxy`s right, you shouldn`t have that bad a problem in wembley, although i would look nearer 250/260 for the day, (plus other expenses ;))

7. !!

!! New Member

(plus other expenses ;))

yeah those london hookers have to pay parking 2

8. !!

!! New Member

thanks to everyone for the advice!

9. !!

!! New Member

thanks again fellas I'm off done sarf on monday for £280 a day booked myself a quality hotel and took a weeks wages up front yay!

10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

good man

11. deckart

deckart New Member

These posts always leave me with a sense of wonder and awe.I live in London, in the trade for approx six years,member of IOC(joinery).I sometimes work with an old college friend and we have just completed on a 3 1/2 week job putting in a bespoke hardwood/veneer floor to ceiling library covering 3 wall runs.Solid wood plinth with curved returns,pelmet the same with 10mm shadow gap to ceiling,to match existing.The joiner who made this did a beautiful job,but had no idea about levels or fitting,hence solid plinths.36mm returns to wall,all curved.
    The floor was out over a 3m run by 30 mm,we it got to sit level with an error of less than 1mm,the reurns 8 of them scribed to the wall within 1mm or less over a height of 3m,the curved pelmet had to protrud 28mm to match the plinth,that was done.8 hardwood draws cut and fitted to leave 2mm gap all round and to match the gap left by the doors above in a cabinet.
    We did the job,the client very happy and we picked up a commission to do more shelves and cabinets in hardwood for the New Year.
    I classify myself as still learning,though this job required skill and patience beyond most normal jobs like fitting wardrobes or skirting,I still felt that we could only charge £135 a day.
    My friend and I do not underate our skill,the non use of mastic and the such are testament to this,maybe we're just simple or something or have a desire(reading these threads)to undercharge ourselves,so is there a point in our trade where we've reached the skill and knowledge zenith that we can justify asking for and getting paid £250-£350 a day.If so, can someone let me know if they've reached it?.

12. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Hi Deckart,

Whilst not strictly a joiner - i am more of a general builder who likes joinery - let me answer some of your points.

1 - Its sounds like you know what you are doing - if that is so yhen you are undercharging.

2 - What you charge is not just related to your skill level - you charge a competitive rate. If your competitors are charging equivalent to £350 a day then why aren't you?

3 - Are you charging a daily rate? I have always found that charging a fixed rate for a job keeps the client happy and can effectively raise your daily rate.

I am one of these northern boys who from time to time works in the big city. I have invariably found that if i base my rate on £350-400 a day then my quotes far undercut London based guys. Its all supply and demand. But i like to think i have lots of happy past customers.

13. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

I have to agree with Deckart.....I'm London based, born & bred, Greenwich SE10.....City & Guilds with experience.......large client base......average out between £150 to £200 a day......am amazed by the figures being bandied about on this thread......but if that's what they're getting then more power to them.......like Foxy said.....I'm surprised 'cos there's a lot of East Europeans (some very good) charging half what I do......having said that, I've never lost a job because of that.....

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I charge £180 a day for working in London. Nobody gets £400 a day. Thats £104k a year for a five day week. Its all a load of pub talk what some people reckon they earn.

15. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

I do get £400 a day. Though that does include mark up on materials.

I cherry pick the best jobs. I do lots of windows. Last job was a house full of hardwood box sliding sash jobs. I quoted £8800 all in, supply, fix, made good, painted - the lot. The next closest quote was £14000 apparently.

The windows and other supplies cost me cost me £4400 including glass, paint etc. The job took me 8 days.

Or is my maths wrong? Or can i just get windows made cheaper up here in Cumbria than you guys can down south?

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

No mate that means that on that job you made £400 a day. We have all had good jobs where the money rolls in but that is different to stating that your day rate is £400. If you are pulling in £2000 a week week in week ouu then fair play to you but trouble is I find it difficult to believe.

17. !!

!! New Member

A self employed tradesman needs at least £1000 a week or you might has well just work for someone else and get holiday and sick pay

18. dan121027

dan121027 New Member

so you mean to say chippies in london are averaging £1k a week? i find that hard to believe, i live in cornwall and its hard to get over 14pound an hour here, maybe i should move back!

19. !!

!! New Member

My last job before going self employed I was on £16 a hourshop fitting, all I had to supply were hand tools and a cordless drill.

when you are self employed you've got loads of insurance, advertising, tools, no holiday pay and a van to pay for. Theres also the unpaid work e.g pricing jobs. Taking all that into account you need at least £25 a hour 40 hours a week

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

See this is more realistic now. I charge £180 a day for London. So £900 a week + a bit of mark up takes me up to what you find acceptable. But to say that a day rate of less than £300 is an insult is wrong. As for a day rate day in day out of £400 (which significantly undercuts others) nonsense. Loads of people mouth off about how much they earn but I guarantee you ask them to open their books and those dreams of 104k a year disintergrate. The vast,vast majority of us earn between £100 and £200 a day each and every day. I have never met anyone who genuinely earns £50 an hour doing what we do.