Whats a good day rate for working in London?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by !!, Oct 26, 2006.

1. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

Just out of interest goldenboy. How much would you charge a customer in Fulham for a hardwood box sliding sash (approx 1200 by 1700- supply and fit. Price includes k glass, glazing, painting (inside and out), making good and building regs/fensa. I may be making my effective daily rate up with mark up on windows. A friend makes them for me up here - it might just be that they are loads cheaper than down your way.

I only said that i undercut others because thats what clients have told me.

I also only take the best paying jobs - i live 300miles from London so its got to be worth it!

2. dan121027

dan121027 New Member

i think you opened a can of worms here gonzo, i would love to earn 1k a week but the truth is we cant get that sort of money all of the time, about a month ago i pulled 2k of one fit in a week, the past 3 wks ive only earnt around £500 a week, swings n roundabouts! (for me anyways) cheers

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Windows arent really a mainstay of my work neither is fitting them so working on a supply only basis the last sliding sash (in softwood) I did earlier this year including glass, furniture and dipping worked out around the £900 mark excluding lead. I dont do painting etc so i can't help you on that. Before you say oh spiral balances are the way forward, as I say windows arent my speciality and I only really ever do the odd one to help out customers of mine who are struggling to find someone to do the odd window.

4. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

I think it the cost of windows that allow me to make a larger mark up. I can get windows made cheaper up here than you southern boys can.

And no - i don't think spiral balances are the way to go - i think they are a right pain in the a**e!

5. foxy

foxy New Member

I think a simple fact is being missed by some. There are times when you earn £1500+ p/w but that is not EVERY week. Some weeks most will earn much less or even nothing at all. It varies with job to job.

6. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

£200- £300 average

7. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

got 2 b at least £900 p/w,labs r on on £95 p/d just 4 turning up in safty boots,not many tools,but funny lingo?

8. !!

!! New Member

I'm back what good fun it was nice to see I left you with something to debate.

I am supprised to hear so many competent carpenters on such **** money as bodget&scarpers says if labourers are on £95 per day, a skilled worker with all the tools and training should be on at least double.

as for those who thought £280 a day was too much that was including my hotel and fuel

9. the paslode kid

the paslode kid New Member

i work and live in devon and on day work charge £160 aday plus vat prefer to price though better money

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Things might have changed in the last 2 1/2 years :)

11. dunc

dunc New Member

Its one thing to make such vast sums of money and quite another to negotiate work with a client with such figures being bandied about.

For small jobs I quote £25 an hour, as this gives an instant reckoning for certain types of customers. I may make that more or less when doing my main type of work, depending on how well the job goes.

But its best to shift to a quote asap when a decent amount of work comes up. And with a reference the figure is already there in most cases.

Often its the necessity of some work which can take the price up, and in some cases its all that decides it, especially if you have a customer running out of money.

But I think that most self employed reckon on making at least £150 a day.

12. MattChip

MattChip New Member

Most trades i know are £150 a day standard, perhaps plasterers less, sparks more.

I have tried the £200 a day thing and i don't get the work

13. MattChip

MattChip New Member

...following on, i quoted recently for a job, a lot of work and i loosely based my price on 160-180 a day with a small mark-up on materials

I came highly recommended from a friend of his and he'd seen my work. I didn't get the job

Another recent quote, did the same thing, another recommendation as all my work is as i never advertise, didn't get the job

Hearing all these day rates is one thing but getting them is another for me

14. earl e finish

earl e finish New Member

£150 - £200 in Staffordshire 7.30 til 4ish.

15. !!

!! New Member

old topic isn't it, but yeah those big money days are gone, averaging about £160 a day at the minute. Those out of work new build bashers are all advertising in the local paper now and working for £100ish a day while signing on

16. decorator dave

decorator dave New Member

i have 3 chippies working for me on a subbie basis, they all charge me £130 per day - 20% cis, you lot are leaving in dreamland charging £300 upwards per day.

Pricework i can understand that you can make more on, but all trades are the same on that.

all the best if you have solid work everyday, but your bubbles will burst, then what? are you going to refuse to work for less.

17. screwfixated

screwfixated New Member

I can assure you that everything is much cheaper in Cumbria. The overall cost of living is cheaper so inevitably daily rates can be and are much lower. However you have a better quality of life for far less cash.

In the London area, tradesmen usually price on the basis of what they think you can afford. So heaven help you if they see that you live in a decent street in an expensive house.

As for the £400/day forget it. They are braggards who are simply lying through their teeth. No tradesmen, even in the London area clears over £100k per year. That's total BS. If you have a team of tradesmen and a thriving business, of course, but then you're no longer a tradesman, you've become an owner and a manager.

18. screwfixated

screwfixated New Member

London area - As a follow-on - my builder friend tells me he pays between £100 and £130 per day - depending on the trade and how well he rates the individual - how quick and good they are at the jobs...

19. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

Old thread. I think we need to be comparing like for like when discussing rates - with respect, what somebody's builder pal in "London" pays his subbies is neither here nor there if you don't do sub-work, and let's be honest, subbing for builders was never the best-paid work, even in the good times;)

London's also a big old place, with folks on lots of different incomes, with lots of different opportunities - so if the client's are all different, why would you expect tradesmen to all be the same?

I'm certainly not charging less than I was last year, though I'm probably earning a bit less as other costs have risen - when you're self-employed what you charge and what you earn are quite different things of course.

I only do domestic work, and I'm fairly flexible about the work I do - I just don't charge any less for it. Pimlico Plumbers, The Shelving Company and London Alcoves haven't cut their prices, so why should I?

Cheers, Pete.

20. !!

!! New Member

Different prices for different jobs, the work I was doing was quite high end 12'' - 16'' skirtings built up architraves and quite decorative staircases which which demands a higher price.