Whats a good day rate for working in London?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by !!, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Bit off topic I know, but I was just looking at some of those links you posted Pete......in particular The Shelving Company.......using the system they use....(and as we all know there are many different ways of making and fitting floating shelves)......I'd love to see how their system tackles alcoves where the back of the alcove is wider than the front. I didn't see any extra charges for tubs of filler...:) I would say they need to expand their repertoire a bit too.

I would charge a bit less but similar for alcove cupboards/ built ins, but then I don't incur the same overheads / premises / business rates as these firms.....they're in a position where they have to charge those prices and so are less flexible.....they're in a more dangerous position should the recession worsen I think.

At the moment the key is in keeping overheads as low as possible, and remaining quick, accurate and adaptable.

2. dryliner essex

dryliner essex New Member

hallbeck comes down south every now and then,works in high class areas where money is not a issue charges what he likes and gets it(good luck to the man) subbies are paying no more than £150 a shift for site work.i pay my boys £120 a shift and £150 w/ends(alright i am a drylining firm,but still there and about with my rates) i too have earned big money on some jobs £1000 a day profite but the job was done in a day.i am a chippy by trade but this drylining works better for me.if i do a day work job i charge £25 p/hour for each of us based on a 8hr payed shift

3. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

"...in particular The Shelving Company...."

Yep, thought it might give a few people a giggle ;) I've only come across them recently, and what I missed when I first read the price list was that all costs quoted are 'per metre' - yes, the cabinet's too, so presumably a 1200mm wide alcove cabinet costs 20% more than a 1000mm...

Best of luck to 'em if they can get it. Like yourself, I charge a similar amount; do you reckon we could get away with charging a delivery charge? Nah, me neither ;)

Cheers, Pete.

4. dunc

dunc New Member

I have come across a few punters recently who are bargaining like mad to get the price down. It doesn't make for good business relations if you are offering a fair price from the outset. I actually lost some work because they tried to renegotiate the price after giving their word to the first agreement. They were running out of money fast. So I just accepted a day rate and got out quick.

5. Barn Raiser

Barn Raiser New Member

These days I would say a good day rate is whatever you can get.
    I was in a job in Kensington last week, £15 million pound flat and the polish painters were on £30 a day!!!
    Just about covers transport.
    Outside in the suburbs you may be able to push it up to the 1990's £225 a day if your customer is stupid. But remember they can get get he job done for £50 a day cash by just about anyone.

2 years ago I delivered some timber to the Polo club in Richmond, a polish contractor was building a toilet block. The 15 poles there were working for food and lodgings.
    The streets are not paved with gold.
    I heard that contractor got the Refurb of the German Embassy from that job.
    The 90's are well over lads.

6. levelinuse

levelinuse New Member

All I can say if you can get anything over £100 a day now with all the immigrants working on £300 - £400 for a 72 hour week (I know this for a fact and they are driving 3 hours on top to get to the site) they have nothing to loose and don,t wont to go home so are more motivated and are happy just to work period, some of you guys need a wake up call to reality!

7. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

A lot of you are assuming that customer's only want the cheapest labour going.....and it's simply not true......maybe in the commercial sector, but definitely not in the domestic market.

A lot of people in my area will pay well, to have tried, tested and reliable tradesmen. Don't think you can take the p*ss with them, if you're expensive but careless then word gets around quick and the work soon dries up.....

Those customers that want the cheapest, deserve what they get.

This thread is about London.......we've always had a high percentage of immigrant labour......it's nothing new......

The average is still £150 to £200 a day for skilled trades.

8. s1ight_of_hand

s1ight_of_hand New Member

well just stumbled on this forum and now im thinking i must be some sort of mug as im only bring in £600 before tax and supply all power and hand tools for a 45 hr week, well i cant understand some of these wages as im looking for a new firm to work for and have not seen a single job over £13 ph ?????   please someone tell me where your finding these jobs as iv only been in london a year (from kent not eastern block)

9. glnta

glnta Member

I wouldn't get out of bed for that. Just done some undeground drainage work in Croydon. Took 4 days. After expenses I cleared £4,400.00 Plenty of good paid work in London, you just have to look for it and/or have a good reputation, the Croydon job was on a recommendation from a regular .

10. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    thats ace ginta good on ya, but was it carpentry work?