whats best??

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by no idea.., Nov 8, 2010.

1. no idea..

no idea.. New Member

Hi guys i am getting my bathroom floor and walls tiled, the walls are all skimmed and the floor is boarded 3/4 ex ply.
    just wondering which adhesive/grout do you recommend for the walls and floors and where is the best place to get them from? also how much would i need my wall area in total is 18m2 and the floor is 4m2.. cheers.

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

It all depends on the type of tile and how quick you can tile

3. no idea..

no idea.. New Member

wall tiles are ceramic 240x400 and floor tiles are porcelain n(ero granite) 600x600

and as for tiling well this will be my first attempt so slowly id imagine haha

4. tic tic

tic tic New Member

first..
    your walls are skimmed,so your weight per m2 will be 20kg (including addy/grout)..

imo just go with a single part flex(porcabond) from bal/mapei/weber..and one of their WALL AND FLOOR grouts.

your floor tiles dont fix them brick bond,with thoses size of tiles you will have bowing in them.(lippage when fixed).

you will get about 4m2 from a 20kg bag of addy,after you have serated the walls and floor with addy,back butter your tiles as well.

5. no idea..

no idea.. New Member

your floor tiles dont fix them brick bond,with thoses size of tiles you will have bowing in them.(lippage when fixed) please explain in laymans terms,haha-

6. tic tic

tic tic New Member

ahh chris..your going to be hard work mate :^O ;)

ok with the 600x600,lay them on a nice flat surface side by side and you will see them slightly curve(bow) usually in the middle of the tile,you can run your hand over them and feel this to.

so when you come to fix them you will need to bed them up slightly with adhesive.
    if you fix them just normally(risbond) you will be able to do this..

but if you fix brick effect(broken bond) it will be a lot harder to bed them up,so when you have fixed them this way.. you will have lippage(stub yer toe/tile slightly raised). ;)