What's eating the flexi?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by break it till it fits, Jan 21, 2009.

1. kveater

kveater New Member

Yes it is ground floor. Connected into the existing soil pipe that the upstairs loo uses. How can we resolve?

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Fit a rodent barrier into the end of the flexi ,where it enters the rigid waste pipe.

Heat likes this.
  3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Or have the flexi replaced with hard pipe if possible. It usually is possible to do so and flexi pan connectors are often used simply as an easy or lazy solution.
    The sewer would be best baited using rat bait boxes put into below manhole covers.

4. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

I'd go for replacing the flexi with hard pipe too, but please don't kill the rats. They've just as much right to life as we have.

5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I don’t like animals being killed either Joe. I even catch spiders and flies etc and release them to outside. :)
    Rats can be a problem though and a serious health risk.

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  6. kveater

kveater New Member

Thanks for your advice guys. I think it's pointless trying to kill the rats as there would only be more. I just need to stop them damaging the plumbing.

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Definitely needs a rodent barrier or "rat flap" installing. Even changing to rigid means they can still be there and if you are really unlucky, come through the trap on the WC

Heat likes this.
  8. Shep1883

Shep1883 New Member

I have a similar problem. A brand new flexi was installed about 6 weeks ago in a first floor bathroom. The flexi is stretched at an S shape as shown in the picture to fit into the soil pipe.
    When the toilet was flushed today it leaked. When I investigated, I found that the flexi has shredded in a few different places.
    I was wondering if the holes in the flexi have been caused by stretching the flexi to get it to fit the S or is because it has been chewed by rats?

Attached Files:

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

If the plastic splits it's usually a straight line ,not jagged and in multiple places. Rodent damage would be by Suspicion.
    More likely on ground floor ,rather than first floor ,but still possible.