What's holding this up?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by goldwise, Feb 2, 2021.

1. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

The bottom 2 photos show the results of pantries being removed from kitchen corners. The carbuncle on the ceiling is housing the staircase half landing turn and 3 risers.

This photo is an identical house with the pantry in place. Would like to remove the pantry. 20210202_140442.jpg

So, what's supporting the staircase half landing? And what supports the breezeblock wall that runs directly above the wall that's been removed?

Please could a structural engineer shed any light?

Thanks.

20210202_133958.png 20210202_135320.jpg

2. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Any ideas?

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I have a staircase in my garage that leads to the roof space, it has a turn at the top and 2 steps. The arrangement is similar to that shown. The support is provided by the floor joists. should be a double joist to take the extra weight.

4. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

I see what you mean. Is the pantry wall currently unlikely to be supporting? The joists run towards it and I assumed they are resting within the wall which continues upstairs.

It's definitely not something I plan to tackle. Obviously, it can be done. The photos show that. I was told by an architect that the staircase would need to be strapped from above (whatever that means). Can anyone shed any light?

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The architect 'strapping' refers to using building ties or straps to come down from the floor joists to the landing to support the head of the stairs.