What's the best timber to use for wooden gates ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John218, Apr 10, 2011.

1. John218

John218 New Member

Hi all,

I'm going to replace some garden gates, 5ft & 6ft high, and I was wondering what type of timber to use. The gates that are already on have been made out of rough sawn timber and have warped badly.

I want to know if just smooth planed timber will do and how it should be treated to prevent warping etc.

Is it normally treated when you buy it from the timber yard ?

Thanks

John 

2. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

If you want dressed timber then a good redwood,  more expensive but will last for years if properly treated.
    Sadolin for regular treatments. Off saw fencing material would be ok but go to a sawmill and select it yourself. This will be pressure treated.
    Make sure the gates are properly framed and braced to minimise twisting.

3. John218

John218 New Member

Thanks for the reply....it's much appreciated.

4. You might even want to have a look at fencing/decking timber at your local Wickes or similar. All sorts of timber sizes are available these days, and this will be pressure treated, even the dressed (planed) stuff. I guess rough-sawn timber will be more susceptible to warping as it's generally more inclined to absorb/emit moisture, but should still be ok if treated properly. What kind of finish are you after?

Don't forget to get your 'Z' bracing t'correct way around

Anyways, when I first came down to London from a wee island in Scotland, and was helping my bro to renovate his house, I phoned up a timber merchants for some off-saw timber and described the timber I wanted as "undressed".  Silence...

5. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    try and get some larch machined up, you dont have to treat it at all but it will go a gray/silver colour after a while i have used it loads in the french alps, looks loads better than the green ****!!

6. rhead

rhead New Member

hard wood is best i.e. oak   but will cost a bomb. i  agree red deal; , reds,   treated with " micro porous  paint . should  do

7. kenydisuja

kenydisuja New Member

Hardwood and softwood both are good option for making wooden gates.  Seven years ago I installed hardwood gates in my garden and they are  still in good condition. So I think you should also choose hardwood and  you can also consult with wooden gate service provider.

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator 1 due to unsuitable content

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Whats your budget and what are your skills like? Hardwood is best, iroko should be a reasonable price and will last very well. If you go down the route of softwood, go to a proper timber merchants, not a builders merchant or a diy store and ask for joinery grade. You should be alright with that. I just use any old clear preserver to give it an extra chance, I think its Wickes own at the moment, two or three coats should be enough and then start with the paint or stain finish.

9. Gatefitter

Gatefitter New Member

Hi
    Smooth planed timber, Hardwood timbers will all warp given certain conditions, mainly they absorb moisture and swell, then they dry out , shrink and twist . Its mostly about the correct finish and the right moisture content of the timber you buy.

The only really stable timber I have found is Western Red Cedar, but its price can make you blink!

There is another route which is laminated timer (no its not ply)

There are a couple of real good articles on warp and twist, and how to prevent it and on laminated timber and finishing on a site *

If you follow this link and select "Help Guide" you will see them. They are worth a quick read it could save you alot of grief,

Edited by Screwfix.Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Would'nt bother contacting as you will have to wait between 2----7 years for a response!