What's the best White satinwood at the moment?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by dvddvd, May 4, 2022.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Always used oil based and have tried a few acylic based satinwood paints on woodwork but gone back to oil based due to coverage and flow.
    So which would you recommend?

Not keen on Johnsons due to a nob working in the York branch..

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I like Johnstones Aqua Gloss or satin, do use their undercoat though to get good coverage. Moisten the brush (synthetic best in my view) and wipe the surface down with a damp cloth just before painting. As with all modern paints work fast to keep a wet edge. Order on line fron decorators whearhouse or similar if your supplier is poor.

3. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog New Member

I like Benjamin Moore advance satin. It's more expensive than standard off shelf paints like Dulux satinwood or Johnstone's aqua but with a good rub down you don't need an adhesion primer so saving on buying two paints. It's got great open time for a waterbased paint.

4. Denis6482

Denis6482 Member

I used Dulux satinwood recently, it's solvent based.

Positives: One coat was adequate and coverage is very good.

Negatives: Slow to dry and very runny, needs a good stir before use.

5. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

I've just painted my door frames with Leyland Satinwood and I was very pleased with density and application. (Zinser Bullseye 123 undercoat)

6. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I've just bought Diamond Satinwood for some doors, its water based. But expensive at £50/2.5 litres!