What's the difference between all the screw types?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Oct 4, 2012.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Would like some guidance as to the benefits of the different types of screw that Screwfix offer for seemingly the same task.

The descriptions of: Quicksilver, Goldscrew, Goldscrew+, Turbogold, Turboultra, Spax, Fisher, Screwtite, Velocity make them all sound wonderful.  Are there any independent reviews, applications guides or similar for reference?

I tend to just buy what I have had before.  I find it hard to judge what the benefits are for me and my applications, the few bullet points that highlight their features are not enough as what I'm using most (Quicksilver I guess) is OK.  Would I be better off with an alternative?

Could Screwfix moderator help here please.  I am sure I am not the only customer who is unclear as to the differences.

Thanks to you all, Steve

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

quick silver cheap and cheerfull imperial sizes will rust eventually
    gold i look upon as the metric screw equivalent
    turbo gold not sure probably twin thread
    turbo gold ultra ribs and flutes so pilot holes and countersinking seldom needed to avoid splitting wood
    spaxs and other expensive screws can be single or double thread but usually with ribs and /or flutes

someone will be along to correct my thought soon

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I'm not sure I'm quite such an anorak as to venture a reply......

4. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
      ever heard of rocket screws? not sure if they are in the uk but they are fab, also a professional supplier who's name sounds like 'mirth' are really really good and have the much favoured torx  type of head don't think that is of any use  as i read this back with a slightly fuzzy head

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

there was once a thread asking exactly how many 2" ovals are in a kg so suspecting a wind up trying to make someone count hundreds i just weighed 10 grams and scaled up------

-------- and dont ask me the answer

6. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Anyone from Screwfix to give a full and definitive response?  Its the product you retail after all.

Steve

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

For general use quicksilver are cheap and fast, goldscrews are slower and can give metal splinters, I tend to use turbogolds and find fischer and spax excellent but overpriced.
    Torx heads are very positive but you have to change the driver bit for each different size of screw.

8. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Turbogold for me. No need to pilot drill most of the time.

9. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Well, thanks for all your responses.  It is dissapointing that Screwfix did not offer any support or input.

Steve

10. G Brown

G Brown New Member

They don't get involved on the nutters forums  ;)

11. Clarity

Clarity New Member

They only pay attention to the trade counter forum Steve, in there never ending quest to ensure quality service and customer care ..........:'(

12. HG Joiner

HG Joiner New Member

I would say Turbogold every time. Built a picket fence in the garden and floored the whole loft using them. No problems with any of them they just slid in, no split wood (or swearing for that matter)!