What's the easiest way to install one more socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Movieman334, May 29, 2024.

1. WildCat

WildCat Well-Known Member

Yes, if you really will have a very minimal kitchen, then splitting the existing ring main to insert sockets and/or adding sockets on suitable spurs will be sufficient.

Personally I think adding a new radial circuit and lots and lots of sockets would be better, and would future-proof and achieve a degree of redundancy.

Ind spark and Movieman334 like this.
  2. Movieman334

Movieman334 Active Member

Hi all,

just to update I got an electrician in, I think always best for the big and more technical jobs (I'm currently at changing light bulb and plug socket like for like level) here's what we got through,

The kitchen sockets are on a 32A ring. He said he didn't recommend a radial (20A) as the kitchen was likely to draw a lot when microwaves, boilers, toasters etc are in use, but would be alright for a bedroom as they don't draw as much current (didn't do any bedroom work).

thanks for all your advice lads! much appreciated :)

Pics of the work and looks much better now

electric 1.png electric 2.png electric 3.png electric 4.png

3. Wellwisher

Wellwisher Well-Known Member

It is NOT a fusebox which haven't been installed this century. It is a CU made by a company (poorly) named Fusebox.

Now the OP has repeated your mistakes many times.

4. Wellwisher

Plastic plumbing has been in use for over two decades now and has been proven reliable.

5. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

Does it really matter?
    Why does it bother you?

arrow likes this.
  6. Wellwisher

Of course it matters. As professionals (well some of us) we should use correct terms. Using wrong terms means DIYers and others repeat these incorrect terms thinking they are correct as this thread has shown.

7. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

I would remove the "us" you should not be in the same bracket as a professional.

adgjl likes this.
  8. WildCat

WildCat Well-Known Member

9. Damian6313

Damian6313 New Member

Professionals do use the correct terms, and true professionals do not talk down to lesser skilled/ knowledgeable people..... especially wen they could potentially end up being a customer... did you think about that?? Calling them out on this is pathetic, moronic and annoying. So what if the people posting call it a fuse box, consumer unit/ distribution board, we all know what they are referring to.... technically speaking they all serve the purpose regardless of the label given.

I don't post a lot in here, as my post count clearly shows. However the time you were away, this forum was a much nicer place to be, there were no stupid comments such as "you haven't got a fuse box". A genuine question I have to ask, do you get some sort of kick or some sort of perversion from talking down to people??

adgjl likes this.
  10. Wrong again muppet.

Fuseboxes such as Wylex, MEM and others were being installed well into the 1970's

11. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I suppose we should call them distribution units or DB's, then does not matter if an old fuse box or modern consumer unit, which is only a consumer unit if still as designed and tested by the manufacturer, add some thing like a bell transformer which was not type tested in the consumer unit or CU then it is no longer a consumer unit, it is only a DB.

However be it DB, FCU, CU, or any other name, it is pointless if the general public don't know it by that name.

If I talk about my air velocity clearer, people will say what! The cleaner does not produce a vacuum so it is not a vacuum cleaner, and the whole principle is air velocity dragging the dirt with it, I was repairing one of these large vacuum cleaners upload_2024-6-14_8-45-36.jpeg when it was pointed out it does not use a vacuum, and how important it was to have correct air gap between nozzle and road.

There is no reason why we can't use fuses in a distribution unit upload_2024-6-14_8-49-47.png I know with some electronic equipment a MCB (Miniature contact breaker) is not fast enough to protect it, and we have to use semi-conductor rated fuses. It would clearly cause a problem with all RCBO (RCD and MCB combined[RCD = residual current device]) distribution units, and I will agree saying what each set of letters mean is a pain. It does not mean reinforced concrete design, or Remote Check Deposit, or even Royal Canadian Dragoons it does cause problems I know, and going to google IHD one gets ischemic heart disease not in home display.

The compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) was not a bulbous shape, but we still called it a bulb, and we do get even in the wiring regulations "Lighting fittings using filament lamps" (13th edition) when the lamp is clearly the whole unit, which could have a wick, or mantle instead of a bulb, but we still get "Luminaire. Equipment which distributes. Inters or transforms the light transmitted from one or more lamps and which includes all the parts necessary for supporting, fixing and protecting the lamps, but not the lamps themselves, and where necessary, circuit auxiliaries together with the means for connecting them to the supply.
    NOTE: Lamps includes devices such as light emitting diodes." So at least in 2008 the IEE (now IET) thought a lamp was a bulb? However I remember ordering a head lamp, and got the whole thing without the bulb. So now I call a spade a spade, and a bulb a bulb, and don't make silly comments about bulbs growing in the ground.

12. Wellwisher

I don't talk down to people. I correct genuine mistakes so they can learn.

13. Wellwisher

You are the muppet, even more so than I assumed.

I said, "It is NOT a fusebox which haven't been installed this century." This century commenced in 2001. The 1970s were last century.

14. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

What kind of consumer unit do you have in your car or van?

15. Wellwisher

Wylex.

16. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Got a photo, did not realise wylex were into automotive.

17. Wellwisher

It is not wired in. But it is there.

18. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

IMG_5017.png

Comlec likes this.