What's the law with customer's own supplied bathroom fittings

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Shizzlemeister, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Shizzlemeister

Shizzlemeister New Member

I did a bathroom fit a coupole of years ago. Part of it involved installing a sink vanity unit that was supplied by the customer. In fact the customer supplied everything including tiles.

I have had a call telling me that the sink vanity unit has failed. The manufacturer has aknowledged this and supplied a replacement. However they will not fit it.
    Now the customer is expecting me to go back, take out the old one, disconnect plumbing, re-shape a new worktop, re-connnect plumbing and re-fit the unit. All for free as I did the bathroom installation.

If I had supplied the sink unit in the first place then fair enough, but as I didn't, I only supplied labour to fit client's parts, and, none of my labour or installaion has been at fault, where do I stand on this?

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Advise them, they will have to pay you to fit the new vanity unit.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

As joinerjohn1 said, they supplied the faulty part so it's up to them to pay for the refitting.

4. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

I agree with JJ. The manufacturer of the unit has agreed to replace it at their cost, so it is also down to them to pay for removal and refitting costs.

If the client doesnt  agree, tough!!!!!!!!

Snezza31

5. Yep - and add that clause to your T&Cs for the future... :)

It is totally unreasonable of them to expect you to do this. That does, however, suggest your customer is a bit unreasonable, so you need to judge what the fall-out might be. Are they 'vocal' in the community? Will they stir things up? I know it's tough to be held to ransom, but you need to judge how to ultimately handle this one if it could have consequences for you, however unfair it might be.

They certainly can't oblige you to do it. The rest is up to you.

(I just bought a new wheel hub for my car on eBay for a quarter the price of what I'd pay a garage for that part. If my local garage agreed to fit it on a labour-only basis, would I go back to them in a year's time if it failed and expect them to swap it...?!)

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Why do you need to reshape the worktop? A replacement should fit the same, if it?s being changed even more reason you should charge for the work.  The only case you might be on a sticky wicket is if the maker had said it was the result of poor installation, but this is obviously not the case here.

Pees me off no end that when you DO supply equipment and it fails after a short time, the merchant will only pay for the replacement, I have to spend hours exchanging it at my cost just because the unit was faulty, but that?s the way it is and the customer is in exactly the same position.

As DA says though it?s always dependant on weighing up the repercussions, if it?s a solicitor or journalist discretion might be better than valour!

Best wishes,
    teabreak

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

fully agree you supply the materials you get a markup and they are your responsibility

they supply your contract ends with correct instillation

8. ilikethislady

ilikethislady New Member

Charge them, they supplied the materials, the fitting was not at fault.  Infact, I would probably tell them that you can't do this as your too busy..

AW

9. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hello
    he has to 'rehape' a new worktop so, starting again.:)

10. I'd love to know how this one turns out. What's happening, Shizzle?!

Bottom line - they cannot force or oblige you to do the work. At all. And certainly not for nowt.

If their general attitude is 'bolshie' and you fear they may become awkward should the job progress (eg: they say "Ok - we'll pay you..." and then withhold the money after the job is finished), then may
    keit clear it's either payment up front, or else you're 'too busy'. They can shout as much as they want, but they have no rights whatsoever.

Good luck...

11. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Its very simple. The unit is faulty. You should be paid. Suggest the customer turns his flak on the manuafcturer of the faulty goods.It usually works :)