What's this coil of wire for?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by RolandK, Oct 12, 2018.

1. RolandK

RolandK Active Member

Just about to reinstall a storage rad. And seen this coil hanging loose out of the back. Guess something to do with temperature sensor but should it be fixed somewhere or is it supposed to hang loose?
    Cheers

Attached Files:

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

It's a sensor of the thermostat. The tip of it should be mounted where you want the temperature sensed, such that the heater turns off when the temperature reaches the desired level.

3. RolandK

RolandK Active Member

That was fast!
    I think it must have been hanging down just under the heater before and I never noticed it! Would that make sense as a location for it?
    Cheers

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

It depends!
    If it is intended to detect the temperature of the room, then try to place it as far away from the heater as possible.
    If it is intended to protect the heater from overheating then it should probably be enclosed in the 'box' of the heater.
    Is this a night storage heater? If so, it's probably the latter of the two above.

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I think it just senses the general temperature inside the box.

6. RolandK

RolandK Active Member

Yes it is a night storage heater. I think it must be the latter as you say as even uncoiled it wouldn't go far. And it's not mentioned in the installation instructions.
    Cheers