What's up with people?

Discussion in 'Sport Talk' started by BuilderMCR, Jul 7, 2014.

1. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Been trying to find a new labourer for months. Took one lad on, told him to de-nail some timbers and make sure all the nails go in the skip as the customer has a 2 year old daughter who plays on the grass. Got there the next day, nails everywhere... Sacked

Took on another lad. He's been with me 3 days. Told him to bring block paving over to me as I was laying them... 1 at a time!!! Told him to throw some broken kitchen units in the skip. He left the doors and said they were too heavy!! He's had an appointment every day last week at 12 o'clock as well as today and tomorrow. He's obviously not coming back. It's like they'd rather be at home playing on their playstation.

2. And you being so personable to work with, like...

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Sounds fair enough MCR. Not sure about the Playstation bit though,,, Some of em have XBox's and Wii's. :p:p:p:p

4. Thought kitchen unit doors were too heavy?

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

_41249672_boys_blackstuff203x300bbc.jpg

Gis a job, I can do that.

:p:p:p:p:p

6. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

12 O clock appointment everyday ??????????? ............... Probably with his dealer :D

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

change your advert to,

WANTED, labourer for general builder, £500 per week,after training
    then in small print training can take five years but £6.20 paid while training,

you'll get lots of applicants, just pick the best un. :)

8. It's ever been thus, MCR. A bunch of lazy sods amongst some golden nuggets, with a vast swathe or or'nary kids in between.

How to find the nuggets? You could try approaching your local secondary school/ 6th Form college and asking a senior teacher if there is any kid he could recommend; bright (if not necessarily 'academic'), perhaps disillusioned with education (if not actually rebellious) and someone who's preferred subject is D&T... (In fact, speak to the HoD of D&T as well - they are bestest teachers...)

Teachers know their kids. I bet there's a few yoof there who will shine under your guidance. Just treat them as grown-ups; don't patronise them, don't show them up in front of others, laugh with them and not at them, lead by example, and try your best to throw in casual praise.

You know - exactly the way adults like to be treated :).

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

trust the devs to make a practical suggestion, but I agree, get a kid you know, if you know a football coach or rugby coach of a 16's/17's team, they also will know lads that 'shine' above others,

10. :oops::rolleyes::oops::rolleyes::oops: Shucks!

See what Mr Plum did there - that casually tossed-in bit of praise, beautifully judged to almost fly under the radar, but not so subtle as to be missed completely; it's just enough to be picked up on and give the recipient a warm glow.

He's chust awesome, that Mr Plum (luuurrrvvvv smiley)

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

[​IMG]
    Mmm, ok sledgehammer time, that Mr Devs often gives accurate and informative advice, specially when it comes to people management, his experiences with students and their often bias parents have taught him to see more than one perspective of any dispute, he is both an asset and ambassador to the screwfix forum and should IMHO be awarded with a knighthood and be promoted to 'head master member' of the community,

hip hip hip hooray...:)

12. "...Just treat them as grown-ups; don't patronise them..." :rolleyes:

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

see what I mean ? a true diplomat if ever there was :oops:

14. Stop it right now...

15. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

16. Phil the Paver

DA the forums Head Master.

schools-eton-headmaster_clergy_vanity-fair-cartoon_1885-137744-p.jpg

17. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

sponsored by Ginsters

18. Up yer bums x 2.

Make that x 3.

Sod it - make it all of you.

School dismissed.

19. Phil, that should be "forum's" - it indicates possession.

Sean, please start sentences with capita... ohIcan'tbearsed.

20. Phil the Paver

:oops::oops: See telling me off now, still, no detention as yet.:p