Whats your tester?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Tyewrap Tony, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Tyewrap Tony

Tyewrap Tony Member

In the market for full set of test gear for Part P and progressing to commercial so looking for something better than basic.
    So what kit do you use?

2. J.P.

J.P. New Member

3 Robins - oldy but goodies..:)

3. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

1 Eagle multimeter 1 MK Volt stick (the original and best version) 1x wind up ins tester

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Fluke MFT.

5. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Robin separates,

Have been good as gold to me for over 12 years

Alos have no intention of changing to a 'Part P' BS tester!

Dont use Megger as they have a tendency to go bang in cable jointers hands!

6. Tyewrap Tony

Tyewrap Tony Member

Seeing as Im probably gonna end up spending the thick end of 800 quid I want one for a bit more than just Pt P.
    Have every intention to extend to commercial so need to cover all bases.
    Been looking at the Fluke 1654B.

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

More than happy with the Fluke 1653, now they have tweaked and ironed out the issues with them.

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I just have cheap one, I know its not as good as your posh one's but it does the job, sometimes,

9. Tyewrap Tony

Tyewrap Tony Member

Im very tempted to call that a helpful answer tom

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

go on, gizza point,

cheers tony

11. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Megger, man & boy!

Any will do though, tiz all preference and snobery at the end of the day.

Loads of unfamiliar names do multifunction testers now so if you aint a snob and want to save a few $ pick one of those.

If ya a Snobby fecker like Moi then get a Megger! 

http://isswww.co.uk/17th-Edition-Testers/Megger/

12. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Ive fot one of those wind up insualtion testers LD (its me bros actually) - wind the handle and you have to average the reading out because the needle jumps and stuff.

13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

14. Tyewrap Tony

Tyewrap Tony Member

Im guessing thats aimed at me. Ok So maybe I shoulda said Domestic Installer. But I guess thats a joke too.
    Having spent over 3g's on education courses and publications, with no help from the government, and Im not claiming either, its a wonder anyone would want to join it anyways.

Oh and thats despite being time served and 15 years on site.

15. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

UP "Heavy Duty" means you can probably undo 4 sockets before it falls to bits.

16. Rod Renfrew

Rod Renfrew New Member

60 year old electrician -had many testers over the years , did even get free use of all new Fluke and Robin gear to test for local rep yet they gave so much trouble ( stopped working when required with no back up ) I invested in 2 new multifunction Metrel testers( full function not the airy fairy part P unit ) many years ago now and have never looked back--excellent reliable unit and well recomended with no spoof readings or error message problems .

17. Quiche81

Quiche81 Member

Fluke 1653, Never had a single problem in the many many years i've owned it. Test lead replacements aside of course.

18. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Megger separates.
    Nary a problem.

Lots of Fluke Voltsticks. One in a pocket, others dotted about van and toolbags. I get itchy if I'm far from one.

And a Fluke Multimeter. You can drop them. Military use them. Wouldn't say the same for their multitesters though.

19. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Seperates.
    Robin EL tester and Avo/Avo for insulation and RCD. No probs.(12 years old at least)
    If your all singing and dancing integrated multimeter goes down.......there will be crying and knashing of teeth.

20. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

While that's true, even without one of your instruments you are fairly knackered and cannot test an installation in full for either an Installation Completion Certificate or an Electrical Installation Condition Report. You may as well therefor be without them all.