Wheeled tool boxes

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by bathstyle, Mar 20, 2005.

1. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Has anyone got one of those large wheeled storage boxes and if so which one and whats it like?

I'm looking at getting something to keep all my cordless power tools and handtools in.

2. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

I think Sid was asking about these a few weeks ago but I couldn't find the topic.

I also want one of these for working at the NEC where you have to park miles from where you're working. I had considered making something but it would end up weighing tons and looking ugly.

3. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

4. limestone cowboy

It looks like it splits into three sections, which could be useful. It would keep more organised than the chest type box on wheels I was looking at, where everything would end up at the bottom.

5. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I was looking at the standard boxes too, but as you say not organised enough. On the other hand they are only £25 so a lot cheaper.

It would be good if you could physically see the chest to try your tools out.

I'll keep looking and post more links if I see anything

6. panlid

panlid New Member

now ive got my cordless bosch chop saw;) ive decided i am going to make one. as limestone said it could look ugly and weigh a tonne so im looking for a way to make it lighter. still tinking!

7. Bob Property

Bob Property New Member

bstyle - I think some of the B&Q warehouses have these so you could go and look at some in there. I've thought about a "trolley box" set up and didn't think any of the ones I've seen were either big enough or sturdy enough, perhaps SID can share his plans with us once he finalises a design?

8. panlid

panlid New Member

mmmmmmmm.still thinking;)

9. panlid

panlid New Member

designing aint the problem its what to build it with to keep weight down.

10. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Bob,

I had a look at the trolley in my link at the B&Q in Reading today. It looks like a nice bit of kit but the bottom section is too small for all my cordless stuff :(

I'll probably buy a standard box and put all the power tools/chargers and batts in the bottom.

11. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I have used the stanley wheeled box system for my plumbing and electrical tools and have found it very good.

Paul

12. panlid

panlid New Member

gardy what electrical tools do you put in as plumbers have loads dont they;)

13. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Sid, I come across so many doggy bits of supposedly professional electrical work that my electric kit would probably put some of the sparks on this forum to shame.

Pree part P I often did simple jobs eg extra sockets as my sparks is normaly very booked up.

Paul

14. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

15. Bob Property

Bob Property New Member

Where's the motor? Are you Tim Taylor in disguise?

16. big all

big all Screwfix Select

hhheeelllooo b style

things to keep in mind

i have a folding trolly with strong recycle boxes the bottom box has two battons secured underneath slightly wider than the floor plate of the trolly so you stack the boxes then slip the trolly underneath then secure them
    i have made an mdf lid that has a lip undeneath to hold in the bottom box with a ledge ontop to hold the next box the ledge has a gap on two edges so i can sit upto a bit of 2"by!" par and the other up to 4" will be held in the gap for sawing the top box has an mdf top with holes desighned to sit the feet of a hand mitre saw and or b and d plastic blocks the combined hight = a workmate the seperateted boxes give you two boxes for cutting doors ect
    the problems are weight can you phisicly lift it out or into the van will the wheels make muddy prints
    the good thing about my setup is the boxes and trolly are seperate

17. 12benny

12benny New Member

This is slightly off subject but in my limited experience one of the best means of organising and carrying tools at point of work is the Bucket Bag system. The American bags that fit into drywall compound buckets are the best but the smaller types that fit a typical builders bucket will do the job also. Pricerunner.co has an example.
    The main benefit seems to be that you can instantly see where things are and it's so easy to replace tools back into the pockets or bucket interior.
    Some have arrangements to take tool belts and/or carry cordless tools.
    Tool buckets are the standard on American production "speed, speed, speed" sites so i guess that says something about them.

18. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Cheers guys,

I bought a big Stanley trolley yesterday, seems quite good although its still in the back of my van empty. Looks handy for using as a bench for cutting wood and has a big groove to help cutting 110mm soil pipe.

£40 from the dreaded B&Q :(

19. i fit

i fit New Member

Just a quick note on the old wheeled tool boxes.
    The plastic locks on the side are **** and will break off at the drop of a hat.
    If your going to use it as a hop up, make sure you push the pull out handle all the way back in, cos you WILL stand on it and it is a nightmare to straighten out.

20. limestone cowboy