Wheeled tool boxes

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by bathstyle, Mar 20, 2005.

1. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I got a stanley one similar to the one in your link from B&Q for £40. It's huge inside but there is a design fault with the handle. To stop the handle from pulling out all the way there are 2 stoppers located on the inside, they do their job fine until you come to push the handle back, the handle gets stuck on one of the stoppers. I just popped the stopper out with a screwdriver and it all works perfectly well now.

No reason not to buy the unit but thought i'd tell you just in case thats the type you wanted.

2. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

I'm near a B&Q on Friday so I'll have a look and most likely get one. The Machine Mart one says the wheels are tested to 37mph, strangely precise and pointless.

3. Maybe it's designed to be used as an impromptu trailer......are there fixings for a light board?..:)

4. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Lol, its so you can put the apprentice in there and tie him to the wagon when he answers back.

My box is still in the back of the van empty, this weeks been too hectic to fill it, also the stanley i've got has metal locks to respond to another posters response

5. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Put all my cordless gear in the box today and whilst emptying out my 24v Bosch I took out the instuction booklet thats in a slit on the inside of the box and out popped three diamond wera screwdriver bits that I lost on the day I bought them a month or so ago! I thought I was going mad at the time!

6. maxvoltage

maxvoltage New Member

the wheeled toolboxes look ok. but i recently bought one from my local suppliers (stanly all in one tool box £32.99) it was a load of **** the damn thing wouldn't travel over hardcore and on site this is a must. if there was a bit of wieght the alluminium handle started to bend. now i keep it in the garage for fixings.

7. Adam

Adam New Member

Waste of money!! I got the plastic equivalent and with all the weight in the top box on your arm it's not comfortable to pull any further than from the drive to the fornt door (assuming they're adjacent). And you'll only get a powertool or two in the bottom if they're not too big.

What's better are those big chests that have an extending handle. That way the weight is kept on the wheels on at the bottom and not on your arm.

8. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

The one I bought was massive, I've got 2 x 24v drills, 1 x 24v Jigsaw, 1 x Planer, 1 x 240v drill and loads of spare room left in the bottom and a tray at the top for all my drill bits and blades

9. bigbadleo

bigbadleo Member

just bought the big stanley tool box for all my 24v stuff (c what u mean about the handle bstyle) just wondering if anyone knows where i could get the stiff foam to put inside to stop the stuff moving about and damaging also help to store the battries in it?

10. Goddo

Goddo New Member

Hi Leo

The stuff you are asking about is High density polyurethane (PE)foam. It's used for packaging and camera cases etc. I worked with it for a week in my gap year and it is evil and expensive. Don't buy the cheap tat that they sell in camera shops find a local foam supplier and specify at least 29kg/m2.

May I make a suggestion? Small blocks of hardwood covered with cut up mouse mat. I got the idea from a steel Kango box and use it in all my cases and unlike PE never got a shock from it! Lol.

11. bigbadleo

bigbadleo Member

not a bad idea might try that !;)

12. panlid

panlid New Member

bstyle have you got a link for the one you've got?

13. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I'll have a look mate, if you wanna buy one they sell them in the big B&Q's for £40. gimme a sec

14. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Cant find it anywhere online, they've got similar ones but they all have plastic handles and are smaller

15. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Machine mart do them

16. bigbadleo

bigbadleo Member

17. panlid

panlid New Member

leo as you know i got one. i filled it up today with all my cordless stuff including my senco nailer. IDEAL!!! even the bosch cordless chopy sits on it great. love the tray that sits on the handle. i have all my chisels in one side and all my .........oh its just so exciting:D:D:D

18. panlid

panlid New Member

styly wots in yours:D

19. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I've got big bosch 24, combi 24, jigga 24, planer 14.4 (bought last weeks, great bit of kit!)and big drill Bits in the base. I've got one top compartment with all my smaller masonary drill bits and spade bits, the other with chuck adaptors, jigga blades, planer blades and screwdriver bits. In the centre open bit i've got my small charger which fits all the bosch batts and other side i've got a naked 14.4 torch.

I still want to get the 24 circ and then my life is complete!

20. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Just read your other post Sid, the tray sits on the handle?