When to tile?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by PHILPH, Aug 30, 2009.

1. PHILPH

PHILPH Member

Hi,

can I ask.

I'm having a shower cubilce fitted in an en suite.

Regarding the shower tray,for getting a better water tight seal, is it better to put the tray in first then tile over the tray, or tile first and butt the tray up to the tiles?

Also any tips in general to watch for in doing this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Tray then tile.

Don't try it yourself - DIY shower tiling always leaks - ALWAYS!

Get a good tiler to do it using professional adhesives and grouts.

Not ready mixed slop from B&Q.

3. supertech

supertech New Member

Tray in first, then tile, silicone sealant from wilco,s or B&Q take your time, and you can do a good job yourself, i have installed 2 replacement shower trays over last 3 years and no leaks, totally waterproof. Must use waterproof adhesive and grout, again available at B&Q, wilko, wicks at reasonable price.When applying silicone sealent , use masking tape around tray flat perimeter 12 mill from tile and 12 millimetres above tray on wall tile surface, smooth the bead of silicone with index finger to remove excess silicone and achieve neat sealent finish (have a little practice first) remove masking tape before silicone sets (neat waterproof job)
    CJ

4. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Do not buy ready mixed tile adhesive, it is truly awful. Use professional quality BAL or Mapei powdered adhesive.

5. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Tank the wall 1 metre up from tray.

One of the most important things in Shower installations is getting the tray in so it doesn't move.

As mentioned, a decent adhesive should be used, I recommend a single part flexible or rapidset flexible

6. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Masking tape for silicon! :O
    Dafty DIYers!

7. tic tic

tic tic New Member

all of the above

apart from what supertech has advised!!!!
    b&q...wilco..wickes ur havin a laugh here mate!!