Where can I fit a dishwasher?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by DaveM_, Jul 23, 2019.

1. DaveM_

DaveM_ New Member

Hi all

Can someone recommend where would be best to fit a dishwasher in my kitchen?

What tradesmen do I need for the job? Can I find one person to do the whole job or do I need separate carpenter/plumber/fitter?

Any ideas on rough cost?

Attached Files:

2. mcooper2406

mcooper2406 Active Member

I'm no expert but doesn't seem to be anywhere ideal to retrofit one. If you have somewhere else for the washing machine might be worth moving that and putting it where that was.

Sorry that's not much help!

3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Nowhere is the answer, unless you move the washing machine somewhere else. Cost ?......................................how long is a bit of string ?

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Obvious - in the garage!

5. DaveM_

DaveM_ New Member

Oh that doesn't sound good news - wasnt expecting that! Thanks anyway for taking the time to reply.

6. DaveM_

DaveM_ New Member

I don't have a garage so that's not an option...

7. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

It would make sense to put the dishwasher where the washing machine is and put the WM somewhere else for a number of reasons.

Firstly it is logical to have the DW in the kitchen where the dishes may be used and stored.

There is no fundamental reason why a WM should be in the kitchen, and it is arguable that it is unhygienic to handle dirty clothes in the kitchen.

Perhaps most important is that a WM makes a lot of noise which is inconvenient in a kitchen which may be used as a social area. A DW does make a bit of noise but nowhere near as much.

It is common to place the WM in or near a WC where there are already water and waste pipes.

8. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

it is possible if you can buy a cupboard for 500mm take out cupboard under sink replace with smaller cupboard under sink and then you would have space for dishwasher so it would end up dishwasher cupboard and then washing machine.

9. DaveM_

DaveM_ New Member

Thanks for the reply. The cupboards on the left are 110cm so maybe this could fit - 550mm for washing machine and 500mm for cupboard.

10. DaveM_

DaveM_ New Member

Is there an option to replace this end cupboard and put the dishwasher there? The gap is approx 590mm which is slightly too narrow to put the washing machine there but could fit a dishwasher. Would the work surface need extra support? Also - would it be ok to route the plumbing under and around the cupboards (probably 4-5 meters).

Attached Files:

11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You could fit a 450mm wide dishwasher, or maybe go for a 550 wide "table top" one and create a shelf for it so sit on with storage below.

12. Alster

Alster Member

Possibly your best hope would be a 45cm dishwasher the other side of the sink.

13. yeah, why can't you put one in the cupboard to the left of the sink?

14. DaveM_

DaveM_ New Member

That's what I ended up doing! I removed the cupboard fittings and fitted a slimline dishwasher. Had to cut into the cold water pipe behind the sink to attach a new water valve but that wasn't too difficult.

Attached Files:

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  15. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Good feedback thanks. Far too many land here, get free expert advice and then take off never to be seen again.

Not only is it rude/discourteous, it doesn't help the next person looking for a solution to their similar problem as they don't know if the suggestions worked or not so they either reopen an old thread which is beyond annoying for everyone or ask the same question again so we have to answer it again.

Glad it worked out for you.