Where can I get custom cheap interior doors?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DaveHerts, May 5, 2020.

1. DaveHerts

DaveHerts Member

So, I am building a cupboard under my stairs which has restricted head height so need a door 1700mm x 820mm. Looked at most of the providers but their "custom" sizes are not short enough. I have found a couple of people who will make them but in custom sizes come in at around £300 - a lot for a cupboard door.

Does anyone know of someone who makes plain, cheap, custom size interior doors?

Dave

2. Isaac Cox

Isaac Cox Member

Custom and cheap aren't often found in the same sentence I'm afraid...

Astramax and Abrickie like this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A better word is 'inexpensive'. :D

Isaac Cox likes this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are you building the cupboard yourself ?

If ‘yes’, then your clearly a handy kinda chap

In such case, buy a cheap hollow type door that takes your fancy

Cut down to required size

Replace battens/frame around door perimeter as needed and glue/pin in place and clamp up

Hang door

Job done for what, less than £30 :)

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sheet of MDF cut to size?

6. DaveHerts

DaveHerts Member

I was wondering how simple it would be to use a standard door and cut down. Is it just a solid frame around the border? MDF would be a bit heavy if it was thick enough to make a door?

And yes, doing it myself

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Easy job mate, I’m diy and cut several down myself, not a problem

The hollow panel doors, (not sure what your looking for door wise) are super cheap and actually fine once painted up

They have a thin frame around perimeter, maybe 20-25mm thick (hence you can’t trim more than a few mm off all edges according to instructions)

A solid piece of MDF/Chipboard where you fit the lock on one side only. This is usually marked on the end/top of the door on ‘lock block’ side

Then just filled with a honeycomb web of cardboard

Obviously a panel door will only work if panel spacing works out so your cutting at a flat section.

For a flat door, the Wickes Ply Flush Doors are very good, again hollow, selection of sizes and under £40

With these hollow doors, cut off what you need to. Remove the edge battens from this scrap. Usually just glued on so can remove door face and sand, plane, cut off glue, clean up batten and reuse

Glue back in, clamp tight until glue dries, can add some small panel pins (I do) punch heads just under surface and lick of filler

Or use new timber battens, whatever takes your fancy

If your diy’ing this, our labour is free so no harm in tidying up and reusing door battens

Go for it, no need having a door custom made for £300 ;)

Isaac Cox likes this.
  8. DaveHerts

DaveHerts Member

Spot on, thanks

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No problems, happy to pass on above info as I’ve been there myself

Hope the project goes well :)