Where do the pro's shop....?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Lijong Tao, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Hi all

I am wondering around B&Q and their range of professional tools are limited, going for the weekend DIYer market much more.

My question is where do you pros shop for drills, compound saws, pro chisel sets etc..

I am in the process of doing a few houses up which could turn into something more full time. I don't want to buy DIY tools that won't last so I want good gear that'll make the job easier and tools that do the job without breaking. So where are the best places and what brands for chisel sets, compound sliding mitre saws, hammers, drills, angle grinders, clamps (a must) etc

I've just bought Stabila Spirit Levels so don't need them

I want to buy good gear from the start so I don't have to buy twice. Not talking Festool but good equipment without needing to remortgage.

Thanks

2. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Each manufacturer does a good tool, but that doesn't mean every tool they make is the best. For example Stanley make decent hand tools, but that doesn't mean they make the best adjustable wrench (e.g Bahco make very good ones). You need to know what you need and internet is generally the best price. Your local tool shop can be good for power tools as you may need good backup/repair service as well.

Power Tools I generally buy from Axminster Tools or FFX. Hand tools are just best internet price. Amazon are quite competitive I have found.

I am only DIYer but buy good tools as I want them to work well for me. Budget tools can be rubbish.

Power tools Dewalt, Makita, blue Bosch, Festool etc. Hand tools Stanley, Bahco, Irwin, Wera etc.

It depends on the tool you need. Use YouTube for reviews and website own review by customers.

(stay away from Sliverline, Amtech, Rolson). They will fail and not be accurate.

malkie129 and Lijong Tao like this.
  3. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Reminds me of the explanation that I was given of the difference between DIY shops and builders merchants.
    The DIY shop sells cheap tools and exensive materials, and the builders merchant sells expensive tools and cheap materials.

Lijong Tao likes this.
  4. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. Very much appreciated

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Pros shop at the screwfix blue door

Astramax and Heat like this.
  6. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You should be able to find a supply shop of more professional tools fairly local to you. Just look up professional or trade tool suppliers.
    Some of those stores supply tools to the diy and trade shops and business and also supply direct to the public.
    Nice to walk around and look at the options.
    Personally I think you are better with a mix of pro and semi pro tools, as no need to spend too much on professional tools that are rarely used.
    Screwfix do have plenty of decent tools for pro use.

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

It must be a bit daunting when you first start out buying tools. I know it was for me 35+ years ago. At the time (as far as i remember) i just bought the best i could afford at that time. Things have changed since of course, most tools are much better anyway (power and cordless) but others are much worse by a long way. Even simple things like a hammer and a set of chisel's, most can be mediocre at best. Getting the best tools for any job, will always cost. It just depends on if you actually need the best for the job/jobs you are intending on doing ?

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

‘Where do the pros shop’ ?

Ann Summers perhaps ?

9. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

I need a good set of chisels. For woodworking and carving chisels.

Also I need a good set of screwdrivers.
    Compound mitre saw.
    Hammer
    Socket Set
    Angle Grinder
    Circular Saw
    Jigsaw
    Pliers
    Clamps
    I think that is it for the mo. I know I need a lot and don't mind spending it on tools that will last.

Thank you again

10. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

It looks like your more into woodworking.

Take the day off and visit a good store with advice and lots of choice.

My suggestion is Axminster Tools if your going to spend that much all at once. They also offer good advice. The best tool is one that feels right in the hand, not necessarily one that has high specs. You may be able to negotiate a discount or price match if your spending a lot.

Depends where you are in the country.

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Tools are just tools, and the best advice is get the most appropriate for the job. Even cheap silverline **** is OK sometimes for an occasional use item. Nor does stuff have to be the latest and greatest - Most of my hand planes are ancient - stanleys and records from 1922, 1934, 1943 etc. (good quality iron and steel is as good today as it ever was) The oldest tool I occasionally use is an ogee wooden moulding plane from 1788 (yes - 1788!! - and I have a few rounds and hollows from early 1800's). For power tools that require precision like sliding mitres and routers, buy the best you can afford. For stuff like cordless and wired drills the Titan stuff from our hosts is good bang for the buck. The big SDS titan breaker drill is a steal.

Heat likes this.
  12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you are starting out get most of your hand tools from Aldi/Lidl. Then when you are more experienced you will appreciate and know what to look for in the high end tools.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  13. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Yup, I believe to be experienced enough and fed up buying expensive gear, do my shopping at Lids on the way home and....
    Updated topic in the tool section again... :D
    Not saying they are tools to fall in love with, but certainly so far value for money and quality is perfectly acceptable IMHO

Heat likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

They can be used and abused without to much worry. They come with a 3 year warranty, if they break you get your money back. If they last 3 years you've done well.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  15. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You won’t be taken serious as a proper tradesperson though when you bring out your Lidl drill. :p
    Just so low class.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

They also sell yellow /blue paint so they look like DeWalt / Makita

Heat likes this.
  17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm sure a Lidl drill is the least of your problems :):)

AlvyChippy likes this.
  18. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I have mainly Hilti gear.
    Walking from van to the customers house with my red tool box with large white HILTI letters makes me look like I know what I am doing. :p
    I think I should do the walk as slow as possible.

19. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I really need green spray paint to spray my Hilti tools and their boxes so they look like Lidl Parkside or green Bosch and therefore rendering them appearing not worth stealing.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If the customers knew what tools were what they would do the job themselves.