Where to buy a kitchen (rental place)

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by diy_nixy, Feb 18, 2020.

1. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Just wondering where is the best place to buy a kitchen? Its for a rental place so doesn't need be super spangly latest designs etc.

DIY fit by myself with a friend. I don't have a Howdens account as I'm not a trade kitchen fitter so that may rule out Howden's!

Previously always fitted B&Q kitchens off their shelf range. Generally seem okay.

Is it worth considering other suppliers. I've heard Kitchens Direct mentioned here before I think?

Any feedback on Ikea kitchens, I've head they are difficult because of the service gap, though I guess you just drill the back or side of the cabinet to bring the pipework inside cabinet.

Would prefer something that has fairly standard cabinets so could be replaced in future if they get damaged by tenants. Which makes me think Ikea as I doubt their range changes much in terms of carcass design. Just a thought.

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Wickes are worth a look.

gpierce likes this.
  3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I've fitted a number of B&Q kitchens for people and they've been alright except they've just changed the supplier and I wasn't as impressed with the latest stuff. It didn't help that the new wall cabinets were 30mm deeper than the previous range which caused a problem on the job I was doing.

One advantage is that because they're self assembly they're easier to modify if required and they don't require as much storage space until needed.

Howdens would be my choice though if you can work it somehow or DIY Kitchens are worthy contenders.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

@WillyEckerslike how deep are the B&Q cabs now? 300mm is the standard size I believe.

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

The originals were 290mm and the new ones are 320mm IIRC.

Edit: That's without doors.

Hans_25 likes this.
  6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Wickes Madison Gloss Cream handleless all on clearance offer at the moment.

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Why not Howdens? If you have a limited company then you can get an account.

8. Carl B

Carl B Member

Facebook/ebay are great for 2nd hand kitchens

9. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Thanks that's a great tip on the clearance. Not everything is in stock but might still be able to work with it.

Muzungu likes this.
  10. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Wickes off the shelf stuff is good and cheap. Bit limited range but can usual tweak the design to suit.

Or DIY kitchens for high quality. Usually have 10% off.

Biggest savings are shopping about for appliances. Amazing bargains to be had.

11. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

I've fitted a lot of Wickes off the shelf in rentals. The quality is fine, designs are basic but cover the common styles, and the price is actually very good - about the cheapest I've seen. By the time you go to B&Q and buy the cabinet, the door, hinges, handles etc, it usually comes out more. It also makes the buying easy - the box has everything in apart from plinths and end panels if you decide to use them.

Hans_25, WillyEckerslike and Astramax like this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As above totally agree, great advice. :)

13. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

I think I'm going to place an order with DIY-Kitchens.
    https://diy-kitchens.com/

They seem to be good quality, coloured carcass, ready built on delivery.
    Thanks for all the advice.

How do I get the 10% off - if anyone knows let me know?

14. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Check out their FB page. It runs every few months. Or call up and say you had the 10% discount and act confused as to why your computer no longer shows it

15. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Yes you can do that but there is a service gap of sorts. The cabinets sit on legs. The rear ones are inset. That space can be used - I did for gas for the stove. Height is about 90mm odd. There is also a bit of a "void" at the back of the cabinets, around 13mm deep. When fitted on rails the back edges of the cabinets are 10mm off the wall so 23mm total. Ikea told me that drawers go right back into the cabinets - the ones I have measured leave a 60mm gap, They do their own sink waste unit that can help with drawers under that. May need to use one of their sinks as well.

Mason joints on worktops fox some due to the instructions that come with jigs - kitchen fitters do it a different way and the width of the worktop doesn't matter. The jig just needs to be big enough. They do leave some scope for trimming width to suite wall errors when a corner cabinet is used. ;) That's why they are an odd width. They don't use much overhang.

It seems they can also provide strips to cut for infills if needed. I didn't need one so pass. Their advisers mention them especially for tall cabs and walls that are out but they could be needed elsewhere. As fibre I would paint cut edges. It is worth talking to the advisers. They also offer the usual fancy trims and a variety of hinges - in some cases the right ones must be used. It's easy to exchange things if the wrong part is ordered.

Many people use brackets to the wall rather than the rail especially on floor cabinets - wall errors are easier to to deal with. I removed skirting behind the cabinets as well. That is probably needed anyway if the rail is used.

What swung it for me was these
    StockDrawers.jpg

There are 3 of them in that cabinet and way way more useable than shelves. My wife overloads everything and they are standing up to it. By rearranging I managed to get them in near touching in one cabinet and fitted drop down chest handles so that they can still be pulled out. ;) Black and from TS if I remember correctly. The cabs need firm fixing to the wall at the top or might tip.

Also went for black wood effect cabinets. These have to be ordered

John
    -

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  16. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Called drawers John, most kitchens come with them these days :rolleyes:.......

Jord86 likes this.
  17. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Really - like that behind doors so gapping can be as required - post me a link.

John
    -

18. JJ170

JJ170 New Member

I'd probably say Wickess too. Good choice, good value