Where to find 25mm floorboards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by u0362565, Oct 8, 2019 at 10:53 PM.

1. u0362565

u0362565 Member

Hi all,

I'm want to replace a pine floorboard which is under carpet, the size is 25mm thick by 165mm wide. Ideally no T & G. Online at least i'm struggling to find either a floorboard or timber of this or similar sizing. Phone up local timber merchants?

Thanks for help

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to contact a sawmill directly. They will make you the boards from the wood you want with exactly the dimensions you want, and you will probably still pay less than if you buy from your local builders merchant.

3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Only option.

4. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

Or buy some 18mm pse or 20.5mm from wickes and pack out each joist accordingly with shims

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Have you tried a proper wood yard ?

Guys in mine are really helpful if you need something not necessarily off the shelf size

As it’s a floorboard under carpet can be made up from any timber I guess, even 2 pieces sandwiched together - dab of PVA and screws through, who’s gonna know

Mdf and ply come in 25mm - under carpet - does it have to be pine ?

Obviously you don’t want to pay for a 8x4 sheet but may be able to rip down what you need and adjust the cost

‘Proper’ wood yard will be your best bet I recon

6. furious_customer

furious_customer Active Member

A sandwich of 22mm chipboard and 3mm hardboard/ply/mdf

7. ajohn

ajohn Well-Known Member

MDF floorboarding may be available in 25mm. The real stuff used to be regularly available in reclamation stores but very hard to find now.

The MDF for floorboards could be call HDF as it's denser than the usual stuff. Higher densities than the usual mdf may be available by other names for other uses.

John
    -

8. u0362565

u0362565 Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. No it doesn't really need to be pine in some of our rooms the wood is exposed but in the bedrooms its covered with carpet so anything strong enough to get the job done although ideally would prefer solid timber. Excuse the ignorance but not sure what the difference is between a sawmill and wood yard. I have timber merchants and a sawmill within driving distance. If they're not fruitful then I'll look into hashing something together from manufactured board or by glueing smaller timber pieces of the right thickness together to achieve the desired width.

Thanks

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

No ideas on difference, or any between two terms ... I just meant a wood yard kinda place instead of say BQ which has a limited range of timber sizes

Pop into your ‘sawmill’ and I’m sure they will come up with the goods, either 1 piece @ 25mm or 2 pieces to get there

Glued and screwed it aint gonna go anywhere is it !

10. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

11. u0362565

u0362565 Member

Ok thanks guys